View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
TJones

x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I would say that based on the small scratches and no deeper cut, it was likely a Calico. Yellowtail will some times take it and make short 2 second run, like I had last week, I waited a little longer but it did not come back to take it. I've had that many times in the last 7 years, It's like they grab it take off and decide they're really not hungry and let go of the bait. The initial hit on the bait crushes it and usually there's very little if any marks on the outside or missing scales. If it had swallowed it, then it likely would be coming home with me, since I use circle hooks. They do not fail to hook set in the corner of the mouth. The good news is that just shows you that the Yellowtail are out there and it's just a matter of time. Tight lines.
Calico is my vote. I have had similar situation on many occasions as what you are describing. Next time you catch a yellowtail, take notice of his mouth. Their lips are like a vice-grip. When they nail a bait and drop it, or have it pulled from them, it is very distinct. You will not see any teeth marks. Just what appears as a crushed bait. Yellow's are around, but for whatever reason, seem to be very elusive to a lot of anglers this year. JMO.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote