Thread: LJ 10/23
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
tanners
Junior

LJ 10/23

Headed out at grey light and batteries were not cooperating. With no bait tank and fishfinder, we ended up jigging a couple macks at a time and throwing them in the bucket full of stagnant water, which kept them alive about 20 minutes.

We drifted trolled out about 2 miles past the point and started drifting a flyline whilst throwing Krocodiles and irons. Caught a bunch of calicos/skipjack on the irons while waiting.

Round 1: Something with shoulders rips about 20 yards of line and cuts the line clean. This is on 40lb with 15lbs of drag and no obstructions around. We were out of bait so we went back to the buoys to make more.

Round 2: Both of us hook up, both bit off clean within 1 minute of fighting. More baits out.

Round 3: Both of us hook up, mine is off in 45 seconds after I gain some line. My buddy's fish dogs him about 50' down for 5-7 minutes until the line is frayed through. His line is nicked up for a foot or two above the point of seperation.

Any ideas on what these fish were? We were thinking sharks but they felt and fought like yellowfin tuna but faster? Strange. All cut off using big circle hooks, too. There's been Wahoo caught so close to shore it has me wondering...

Also got hit on the iron so hard that my 90j/Saltiga combo flew out of my arms. If anyone find one in 300' out there, let me know

EDIT: 8/25 NOT 23.

Last edited by tanners; 10-26-2015 at 02:45 PM.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote