View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #660
rampage559
Junior

I just got my first Hobie Outback this last sat and my first mod was done that Sunday. I will be doing mostly bass fishing and trout fishing while camping, so two of the most important things to me was an ice chest and tackle storage.

Locally in Fresno it can reach 105 degrees in the summer, no shortage of cold beverage is acceptable on this days lol. Up in the mountains while camping a nice craft beer while trolling makes the day since I wont be driving.

Initially I was looking for a basket the size of a milk crate but that I can enclose easily, so I do not loose my gear. After an hour in lowes of not finding anything that satisfied my itch. I ran across a ice chest and thought to my self, this could work. I had to get two scrape pieces and silicon them in to cover the entire length of the chest.

I decided to partition the chest with plexiglass from lowes scrap pile (1$ per scrap) with some silicon it made for a nice permanent solution. I may add foam though for better insulation between partitions and to keep my tackle from making racket.

I ran into an issue with my rode holders and luckily I mocked it up and realized I could not open the chest unless they were on the front. So I attached the front of the chest and got it in the Yak. I tested this out and did not like it at all. So i started to brain storm and took off the hinges and said well I can just make it so the top completely comes off from any side.

I then noticed if i flipped the hinges they would make great tie down points to anchor the cooler. Turns out little tie that I used to keep the front of the cooler shut makes a good hinge and allows me to open the cooler with no issue. You might be confused here with what I did, so its a good thing I have some pics.

I also made two rode leashes out of old cell phone chargers.

Total cost was 85$ at lowes, however this expense also covered a bucket of bungees, 15$ worth of ties for my house pole storage and the stuff to make the rod leashes minus the cell chargers (carabiner and ties)
rampage559 is offline   Reply With Quote