View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
When I finally get a YT from my yak, I plan on heading home to make sushi, collars, and other yummi treats right away unless........If I hook up two at the same time I will do my best to get both on board, all the while with a grin you couldn't wipe off with a baseball bat.....Just sayin.
As for Mr. Nice Guy's comment on taking what you are going to eat, I am not against freezing fish, but of course they are better fresh, and fresh fish is healthy for you, so that is more reason to go fishing more often. So many benefits: Fresh caught wild fish, lots of exercise, getting to enjoy nature, the mental healing all of that provides, and memories stored up for when we get too old and feeble to go any more.
You'll get the first one soon, keep at it! My $0.02... The sashimi is always best on the third day. It needs to cure. Bleed on the water and afterward remove gut and gill ASAP. Pack bled fish on brine ice for 24 hours before breaking down. Never rinse loins with fresh water, only pat dry with paper towel or clean cloth. Let loins sit in vacuum bags on ice for at least 24 more hours. Once the bloodline just starts to oxidize, this is the optimal sashimi cure.

I swear its 5x better on the third day than the day you caught it. Anyone else feel this way?
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote