View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
ProfessorLongArms

Just bought an Avet and I'm a fan so far... will see how it holds up

I just got an SX with 2 speed and skipped the MC/Raptor/G2
I also fish a Shimano Trinidad, and am not the *best* with a Bait Caster.

One thing I immediately loved about the SX was how well the lever plays to avoid backlash... Everything I read in my research came back pretty positive, and I like that they're local in SoCal.

That said, I can imagine they do require more maintenance as, as on the site they suggest sending the reel in to them for 30 bucks annually (assuming you go out 20 times in a season) for cleaning/maintenance.

As far as the drag goes, we'll see. It does feel a tad light, and i'm planning to take it on a party boat next week for some YT, but bringing a couple of heavier old Penn reels just in case it's not enough.

Also- in case it helps, I spent a good bit of time talking to the owner of Johnny's in Pasadena yesterday about the reel.... Assuming I was looking for something I could take in my kayak with a 10-15lb leader, but also load with 300 yds of braided 40# and 30 of top shot to take out for yellowtail, he was pretty adamantly against me spending extra money on the G2 or the Raptor as a first reel. Of course... that could just be so I end up needing an upgrade sooner than later XD

Last edited by ProfessorLongArms; 09-12-2017 at 04:15 PM.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote