Thread: Favorite Knives
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
I remember suggesting the morakniv and you got one
It's still my favorite. Easy to sharpen and does not rust if you wash it at the end of the trip. I also have a serrated version that cuts thru gills and rope like butter. Only problem is once it's too dull it cannot be sharpened(easily).
Yay!

That was over a year ago and it's now my favorite fishing knife! It's basically all-round perfect for the kayak - light, convenient, sharp and easy.

Thank YOU, Sir! And thank you for reminding me that it was your valuable advice when I was searching for answers and solutions.

Yes, I discovered it needs to be washed after each trip in the ocean. It's very resistant to salt water, but if it's not taken out of it's sheath and wiped down, it will corrode over time.

Personally, I don't like serrated edges much, so I always lean toward smooth, sharp blades. I like clean cuts and I don't know how to sharpen a serrated blade anyway.

Lots of people rip out gills with their fingers, in a manly sort of way. They eat pumping hearts, etc., just like the Mongol hordes were famous for doing.

For halibut, there's a natural "seam" about mid cheek that is like a simple cutting line with a sharp "surgical" knife like the Morakniv. One quick punch & slice here and it cleanly, efficiently, neatly cuts the gills for a humane bleed-out and respectful, restful sleep. (Maybe, but who knows? It's hard to guess what it really feels like.)

Thank you for your knife tip 14 months ago. It was a great one!

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 07-31-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote