View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #13
Ddwineguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Hi ! I have to admit to being the one in the drink yesterday. I want to again thank all, for their help in getting the Revo 13 with all the gear back over. That's was what I wasn't expecting was going to be the hard part. I learned after several failed attempt to get it back over by reaching under to the other handle and pull while pushing with the left. Every time all my rods and other lines tying every thing down would come up and hit my legs and stop me from getting it up far enough. I got winded and needed a small rest so as to grab from the bottom of the hull side the problem is the isn't some thing to grab on that side except the fins and shaft to pull up until you can grab the rail. Now I know to make a short section of rope attached to the inside center area of the kayak (the pedal leash anchor point) and long enough to throw over either side and be able to grab so as to pull the kayak over from the cleaner side. I've owned and used that Revo at LJ almost exclusively since June 2016 and have been in so many really bad weather conditions that I could not understand what had happened because it was so quick. When I got home and was checking out my cameras, I found the I had been taking video of the beautiful morning and trying to keep the video display looking like it is center on the coast so it will be in focus, as I pan after a while I start to move the camera toward the water and put it into the water and get some under water footage. As I'm starting to lean forward and to the side a following swell lifts up the rear of the kayak and it doesn't help I was drifting and sideways to the swells and my momentum just carries me right over my fish finder and sabiki with line in the water. I got so relaxed that I was not paying attention to the constantly changing surroundings, the sad thing is most times I have rolled any kayak even in the surf landings, it was because of getting too relaxed and being slow to react in sometimes needing to shift weight and if you don't see it coming than like yesterday it becomes another lesson learned. As I herd a few of the helper yesterday mention about why it's good to wear a PFD and to have things leashed. I only lost a small jig that was on my other rod and in having to cut a line to undo a large mess of tangle with the leashes and 2 fishing lines. A very small price. I thought as I have learned some of those thing the hard way and some because of other that have posted about their experiences here on BWE. I hope that this makes others be more prepared. Practice deep water self-rescue on the kayak you use now. I have done it with other and this time I thought I was prepared even had a self-rescue step, I did not need to use it because it was faster to have a couple of other kayakers hold one side from lifting while I pulled myself up. It is a bitch when you are trying to get your breath. Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over. The worse thing I did yesterday was to forget the hand pump in my truck. I remembered that about 1 1/2 hour before I could have used it. The Revo had enough water that came in through the front hatch and inside the fish bag (at least 10-12 gallons) that it made it supper unstable on the way back in especially with the following swells. Lesson #2 on the day.Hope this will help somebody or even save a life. P.S. this is a still frame from the video I was taking 1 second before I go over the rod and must have grabbed at it causing kayak to roll over.

Found this a few years ago on eBay. Works great as both to flip your kayak back over and to help you climb back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddwineguy is offline   Reply With Quote