Thread: Guess where...
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2023, 05:43 PM   #1
PapaDave

Guess where...

Okay, hit the water last Tuesday, bait was perfect size, 3-5", water was nearly dead calm and clean, right around 66 degrees. Wind picked up a little around 11 or so, then died down again by 1:30-2:00. Awesome weather, and the fishing wasn't too bad either.

Decided to hunt on a couple of the farther, deeper reefs to the south since the weather was so nice. First try on the dropper got bit almost right away, felt like a nice bass, lost it though. Two drops (and misses) later and I landed a 16" sheepshead. That's when the wind picked up and made it sloppy and hard set a good drift. Was about to head in when I noticed the wind dying off. Decided I'd headed inside to shallower areas. Lota of lobster buoys on my spots, lost two Hookup baits and three dropper loop setups before I figured out how to approach them. I'd drift between the buoys and when I reached the reef I dropped down and tried to stay right on top. That was the ticket, almost as soon as the line hit bottom I got bit. Didn't always hook or land but it was a good bite. Ended the day with the Sheepshead and two 18-20" sand bass, which was enough for a couple of dinners with my GF.

BTW:
The bass looked a little on the skinny side and spit up some nasty stuff they've been feeding on, I think they are hungry (nod nod, wink wink)...