View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #38
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
Definitely an interesting thread. I'm not sure I'm getting the most out of may fancy Lowrance sonar unit though. Anybody care to share settings that work well for LJ?

Which unit do you have? Which transducer? I’d try running your gain/sensitivity around high 70’s to 80’s. Colorline about the same maybe a little less. Turn off surface clarity and noise rejection. Play around with it a little. Drop a heavy jig while you’re drifting and see how long you can watch it on your screen. If you don’t see it for very long, start turning up the gain. You might get a little clutter or feedback from other transducers in the area, but that’s ok. You will also see more fish.

The goal is to have the gain up just high enough to still be able to see what’s going on but not so high that you can’t see through it. Run over the kelp beds and note how that looks. Softer bottom and softer returns will look reddish/purple, solid or harder returns will look more yellowish. Once you have it dialed it, you should only need to make very minor adjustments from there. Good luck and report back.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote