View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
Montesdad
Grey Haired Senior Member

I've been running my spectra (50# - 65#'s depending on the rig), a boat length of 30 and 40 pound Izor XXX topshot, then fluorocarbon leader - keep 17, 20 and 30 pound with me and usually run 20-pound for the local tuna to 30 or so pounds.

An albright is easy to tie for the spectra to mono and usually you'll just need to tie it before heading on out. It's the double uni for the fluoro to mono that you should practice. Been using just a rods length of fluoro leader over the topshot.

Been out 7 times on the boats this season and this setup seems to work well. One always gets in some sort of tangle and may on occasion get cut off 'cause someone else is on a fish. This way, you can end up with a little less topshot and retie your fluoro leader between stops. On a wide open bite, a fluoro carbon leader is not necessary but when the fish are line shy, it is. Been belly/tail hooking using a number 2 owner flyline hook for sardines and a number 4 for any anchovies. This way the bait runs from the boat and not nosed towards the boat.

With a slightly shorter leader, when the lines gets crossed due to bait running around, you can let your fish run out and your braid will eliminate any other tight mono lines between you and your fish - 'pop' !!!. You won't make any friends but you'll probably not see any of them after the trip anyway.