View Single Post
Old 10-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

Nice write up and beautiful pictures. Truthfully, I'm not sure that many will relate with your anthropomorphization of the invertebrates. Seems that the further away from a cute cuddly bunny or kitten you get, even animal lovers have little empathy for the plight of the lowly arthropods. I will say it is an encouraging sign for our species of strange warmongering apes that more and more people won't kill bugs, and rather lean towards "relocating them" in the household. I also think it is a evolutionary progression, as we separate ourselves further and further from the true brutality of nature. Shit it was only a few thousand years ago that humans had little ethical dilemma with murdering and raping each other, to say nothing of the other creatures on the planet.

However, I do agree that there is a part of me inside that just feels terrible about boiling an animal alive. It's kind of a cop out when people lean on the "god put the animals here for us to eat" excuse. BUT, I also think it is a valuable exercise in true humanity (humanity being admittedly distinct from humanely) to perform the deed yourself rather than purchasing industrially harvested animal flesh. I make the conscious decision to end this animals life and consume it's tender goodness, and see the grim reality of a horrible death which I myself might one day face. The early natives of North America likely felt similarly, and that act connects us with our past. Western civilization and our factory farms and slaughterhouses intentionally separate us from that experience and I think that kind robs us of that and blinds us from accepting our own inevitable demise.

Anyway, take shrooms, listen to the Joe Rogan podcast, and kill away my fellow apes. The fact that you ponder the suffering of marine cockroaches gives me a little hope for humanity. Cheers!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote