View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
Semper Fi-shing

Worst La Jolla report ever. 9.15.18

https://www.gofundme.com/david-petronovich

What can I say, I'm still a little shocked.

The morning started out as any other with the exception of big breakers and swells.
Parked next to the same guy I see there almost every saturday.......skinny guy with an older beige or white Toyota pickup truck, green outback.

Me, green outback, and another guy whom I just met started our launch together at a little past 6am. Green outback powered thru the waves, no problem. I hopped onto my yak but was 3 or 4 minutes behind the green outback, getting pounded and thrown off my yak on the beach after my mirage drive bottomed on the sand and left me motionless.

Finally made it out to the vicinity of the green outback, which I saw briefly in the corner of my eyes. I didnt see the yakker on his yak, however, before I realized that something was wrong.

20 feet from his yak, I saw something floating in the water. As I pedaled closer, I realized it was the yakker's life jacket. I went into panic mode and rushed over to pick up the jacket, only to realize that the yakker was still in it, face in the water, hands dangling and motionless.

I yelled as loud as I could "911, man overboard" over towards the beach but with the waves breaking so loudly, I couldnt tell if anyone along the beach heard me. I kept yelling as loudly as I could over and over.

The other yakker whom I just met earlier came up to me and helped me get his lifeless body onto my yak. I ripped the unconscious yakkers' eyeglass strap inadvertently and almost flipped in the process.

We finally got his body onto my yak and another yakker met up with us and called 911.

The yakker started to foam heavily at the mouth and his fingers were already turning dark purple.Lifeguards responded immediately and got his body onto their surfboard within 10 of call and paddled him back to shore where emt performed emergency procedures to shock him and try to revive him

The yakker must have been unconscious for a good 30 minutes before they finally took him to the hospital.

All of us yakkers were wading in the water afterwards trying to find the daiwa lexa 300 reel and yellow rod that was lost when the yakker who was towing the victims green outback coming in flipped.

After 30 minutes of wading around in the water, something bumped my thigh. I picked it up......it was the victims glasses. I dont know what to think of that.

BTW if someone finds the rod and reel, please let me know so I can return it to its rightful owner and also any updates on the status of the green yakker.

My biggest regret is that all the time I see this person, I just mainly went about my own business, didnt talk to him much, and never even asked his name.

In the future, I will never launch and kayak fish alone ever again like I normally do.
And as a note, just because u make it thru the surf doesnt mean everything is clear.

I still cant comprehend how he ended up in the water. Only to speculate that he somehow fell off his yak, hit his head on his yak, and knocked himself unconscious. Or maybe had a seizure.

I thank all the yakkers that helped me thru this ordeal and hope no one has to go thru the same thing I went thru today.

https://www.gofundme.com/david-petronovich

I will be at La Jolla this saturday to try and help Dave's family thru the healing process and I welcome the community to join us.
Attached Images

Last edited by Semper Fi-shing; 09-19-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Semper Fi-shing is offline   Reply With Quote