Thread: LJ Today 7/20
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Widgeon

LJ Today 7/20

Paddled out from big rock about 5:45. Nice morning. Got out to the far side of the kelp in about 30- 40 minutes and was the first one in the area. I swore I saw an otter? Maybe a sea lion pup, but sure looked like a kelp weasel.

Anyhow, I Made some bait. Green macs.and began the slow troll, with occasional stops to throw iron. I was probably only fishing for 20 minutes when I suddenly saw a nice big YT swimming next to the boat. It must have gone right by my bait. I quickly reeled in my iron and tried to put it in his face, for nought. Oh well, seemed like a good sign anyway.
A while later, I caught a bonito. I decided to test my new stringer and keep it . Caught a few more and released them. A while after that, I feel a hard THUMP on the yak and see a huge, fat, dog swimming under my boat. Check the stringer... Empty. Then the pest hung around for another 5 minutes or so, eyeballing my bait, which I had reeled in and was trying to keep alive.

That was about it, got super slow around slack tide, so I paddled in. On the beach just before noon and even though the surf was tiny, it was the closest I've come to a yard sale in a long time.
A nice day to be on the water.
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote