View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport, 3-10-16

I haven't been able to fish for 2 months, so I was stoked to be going today. Met up with Harry Hill and launched just before 7am. sky was partly cloudy and warmish. Water was 60.6º and stained. Tide was coming in and there was good current.

Started at the buoy line and was getting lots of short bites on various colors and sizes, with my pants being pulled down multiple times. But, only got one short spotty for my troubles. We moved to the channel between the peninsula and Balboa. More short bites, no takers. Moved to the moored boats on the peninsula side, but didn't stay long as there was zero current. Moved to the boats on the other side for nothing, not even a short bite. Moved back to the buoy line off the launch and got 2 bites. I was getting sore quick. The one thing I don't like about my Trident 13 is the narrow footwells that force my ankles and knees into an awkward position. I was finally getting used to this when car problems forced me off the water for 2 months. Guess I have to start over and teach my body again to put up with the discomfort. Anyways, it was really slow and I was sore. So, I called it quits some time after 9am and left Harry to hopefully have better luck with the outgoing tide.

The best colors for bites were Redbone and Smokey Shad paddlerz. Both 4" and 5" got bit early. Only 4" after about 7:30. Hot Sauce helped to induce bites.

On a car related note, I bought a Thule Slipstream from Andy (OEX Sunset Beach) for my new to me car. So easy to load and unload. Well worth the $$ and it protects the back of the car from damage too.