View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
taggermike

I have been checked several times by the F&G and for all but one they have been both friendly and professional. I used to get checked at least weekly by the rangers at San Elijo state beach when I was exiting the water after spear fishing. They always asked about lobster and were not too concerned about fish. Certainly the economic incentive to poach is strong with species like lobster. You may recall a few years ago members of the sheriff's search and rescue dive team were caught poaching. And not just poaching, but pulling bugs from commercial traps. I used to work at the Hubbs seabass hatchery and poaching in the Hedionda lagoon was just rampant. The F&G began to frequent the area and things were better for a while. We found a group of kids with pole spears in the lagoon spearing any thing that moved and then throwing the carcasses on to the rocks. Bass, opaleyes, small halibut, f'n star fish, and even some tagged wsb we had just released. We called and both the cops and the F& showed up in time to apprehend them. My crew was so pissed after combing the rocks that there was no way these guys were ever making to thier cars. Don't know how it worked out but these kids were not happy. Sorry for the long ass post but I think most poaching is a matter of attitude. I've seen people strait out argue with a warden about a ticket. No one would ever get in a SDPD officer's face about receiving a ticket. I see poaching as straight theft of "our" property. Many think of our plants, animals, and fish as free for the taking. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote