View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
ctfphoto

Wide Open Halibut Bite plus PB at 40 Pounds

Non-Kayak / Kayak fishing report. I found this spot on SD Bay with my kayak and fished it multiple times to know that halibut lived there.

Went out on a Private Boat with my bro-in law and his bro-in-law who had come in town to visit for a few days. They wanted to go Halibut fishing so I said that I know of a really good spot. I am thinking, hmm, everyone is targeting the exotics so the pressure may be off the halibut. Had a late start but that is ok as I like to fish the tidal swing (soon approaching) in hopes the halibut change position making them more active.

Went to the bait barge and loaded up on large sardines and both types of very small macs. Took a boat ride until we got close to my spot. I literally point at the water and said let’s fish there. I pick a large lively sardine and dropped down and instantly felt something. Pulled it up to no bait even with the trap rig. Instantly grabbed another large lively sardine and dropped it down and SLAM! Instant bendo with a very large fish and I’m thinking it's huge halibut for sure.

Bring it up see color and its a huge halibut, sweet. My bro grabs a huge net and starts for the fish which of course scares it and it takes a run peeling little line. I bring it back up, it gets netted and thrown on the deck and all three of us are in amazement at just how big the fish is. Started freaking out so i killed it instantly with a knife to the head. Bleed out completely. Took all of about three minutes of fishing to catch my biggest fish ever.

We then proceeded to catch four more halibut 2 of which were legal. Five total, kept three. During that time I was hit by another very large halibut and as I was bringing it up it popped off the hook. We also got many rakes and stolen baits. Very fun day. Got home and weighed it at 39 pounds with a complete bleed out, so I’m calling it 40 pounds making this my Personal Best fish ever.

Made tacos, froze lots of huge slabs, and got myself a set of Jaws.

I need to do a turn around trip on my kayak in short order.
Attached Images

Last edited by ctfphoto; 08-04-2015 at 12:58 PM.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote