View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #155
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
A long time ago, back on the first day when I first got on the web I went right to a So. Cal. fishing message board and posted a local Redondo halibut report.... one of the "board gurus" got bent out of shape,accused me of being someone (another poster) who I was not.I said: "I'm (my real name)"

A decade later I had a similar experience. I posted my first real Kayak Halibut report with this Redondo Halibut
This time local internet "kayak board guru" got bent out of shape and Internet Kayak Guru2 and his buddies have been stirring up trouble for me on the kayak boards ever since. I guess you could say some things change, some things never change, I got stuck with my real name on the boards after that first day. I never felt the overwhelming need to change it since then
Famous last words.. Ha Ha Ha!!!

Someone brought up that old post to me last night, and we had a good laugh about it. I guess some things do change.

Internet Kayak Guru2 and his lynch mob mentality buddies mentioned above eventually caused me so much trouble in the real world (offline) that I finally was forced to stop posting fish reports, and shortly after that post I changed all my fishing board names away from my real name.

"Fiskadoro" is a post apocalyptic novel set in the Florida Keys by Dennis Johnson. Kind of a "Mad Max" meets Hemingway's "Old Man and the Sea" I named the first boat I built after that Novel because it was a solo fishing craft built in kind of a Mad Max type manner so it seemed to be a good idea for a screen name.

I should of changed my board name a decade ago. Like with all bullies internet stalkers like to feel like they are really hurting someone. Using my real name made the attacks personal on my end, and that just made me a juicier target, because it gave those creeps a chance to hurt me directly while still staying (somewhat) anonymous themselves.

I don't get why some take so much pleasure in trying to hurt others, take this internet bullshit so seriously, or try to take it out into the real world, but they do. I guess those marginalized in real life want to feel they are having some kind of effect even if it's only online. To me it seems cheap, disgusting, the bottom of the barrel when it comes to human nature, but it does seem to be part of the internet low life culture that some gravitate to.

Since changing my board name the online attacks have slowed down, and at least now when someone types my real name into Google they are no linked to some lunatic ranting about how I'm an asshole because a decade ago I once said Malibu is a good place to fish Seabass in the spring.

So sometimes things do change and they can change for the better. I suppose those idiots feel they won because I had to change my name, and no longer post my trips online, but I like the new name, and really don't care if people know what I'm catching or not, and the change definitely has been a very good thing for me.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 08-06-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote