View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
iethinker

Yum....Triggerfish....Sargo....Rockfish....Sculpin ....Seafood Sampler Platter!

This is a kayak fishing report from 11/21 - Del Mar & Solana Beach.

Key points of interest are that I caught a Triggerfish and a Sargo. I have never caught Sargo before and I have never heard of Triggerfish even being in Southern California. Conditions on the water were spectacular with incredible visibility.

The bite came on strong mid-morning with most fish being Sheephead and Calico Bass. The Calico's were smaller being in the 10" to 14" in range. Some probably just tipped legal status. The Sheephead were larger being in the 14" to 17" range. A few Copper and Vermillion Rockfish came up as well.

I originally set out for a quick session of CPR and pleasure fishing. Given surprise catches, I decided instead to enjoy fish for dinner with the family. I caught Triggerfish during my trips to Florida so I know them to be delicious table fare providing you are willing to contend with their elephant skin during the butchering process. The Sargo looked fat and edible as well. Lastly, I kept a Vermillion Rockfish to round out a seafood sampler platter!

WOW...I can't believe what I am seeing here; a tasty Triggerfish!

My first Sargo.

The seafood sampler platter underway. Triggerfish, Sargo, Rockfish and Sculpin IPA ready for the next step. The family agreed by unanimous decision that all fish here were the best eating of anything I had ever taken home and the Sargo was superlative. I could not pass-up the billion dollar beer for a side-item.

This Sheephead had some unusually nice teeth. I guess he had not gone full hillbilly yet. This guy and all fish not kept for eating were safely returned to the water.

Of added noteworthiness, the water was exceptionally calm and clear. I could see the bottom in up to 30-feet of water. When heading across sandy bottom areas they appeared turquoise. The grassy strips beyond the breakers were teaming with schools of orange Garibaldi. I think the air temps were mid-70's too. Another fantastic day for sure!

Matt
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote