Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
LantzMorgan

headed to big bear lake

me and my family are headed up to Big Bear for the weekend and of course were taking the yaks!

Any advice on the fishing up there or any fresh water fishing at all i haven't done it in a long time.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
EastLosYaker

I'll also be fishing Big Bear Lake this weekend and I've had some success up there before, so I can give you a few general tips for fishing it. Of course dragging a small rapala (or something of the like) can be very effective. Most of my success however has come drifting power worms. Tie on a fine wire hook, put a split shot 14-16 inches above, and wacky hook a power worm. You can try different size split shots to figure out how deep they are. The area around the observatory or the west boat ramp are usually productive. Just need to figure out the wind and position yourself for long drifts along the north shore (my preference). Oh, and probably most important, USE AS LIGHT OF LINE AS POSSIBLE. I use 2lb test. I'll be out on a red malibu xtreme. See you out there.

P.S. Don't forget to buy your permits before you hit the water

Last edited by EastLosYaker; 05-20-2014 at 08:44 AM.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
jettytaco

by chance are you guys bringing your dual sport motorcycles? I'm trying to go up to explore the area up in Hanna Flats and Holcome. I've had the worst luck at Big Bear Lake fishing. Good Luck though!
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
87yota4runner

Like east said, trolling a small rapala(anything that dives) is great for the rainbow trout, try trolling from the dam towards the observatory, people call it the channel. Work some different heights cause its cold and foggy up here right now and should be tonight as well and then will get into the 50's before the weekend so they might move a bit from the temp changes. Also drifting meal worms without a weight on small test works great when they're hitting off the top, just make sure you set your drag real light. Small plastic jigs(1/8 oz) work great along the docks in boulder bay for crappie, bluegill and small bass. Shoreline catfishing is good around the dam and by the observatory. Trout hit powerbait all along the northshore from the dam to grout bay, and also from the stanfield cutoff if the wind isnt too bad. Good luck and bring something warm if your camping, let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
LantzMorgan

thanks and we will see you out there! i have a orange ocean kayak and my dad has a grey trident15.

and were not we only have dirt bikes i wish i had a dual sport.

and thanks guys for all the advice ill have to try all them out.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
jettytaco

OHV area

NOt sure if you guys know there is an OHV area up there very close to the lake and easy to get to. It'll be an awesome trip for your family. Fishing + riding. If you like to know where I can point you that way. Where are you guys camping at? I"ll ride around the lake and see if you guys are out there and say hi. Good luck and have fun man.

Lamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantzMorgan View Post
thanks and we will see you out there! i have a orange ocean kayak and my dad has a grey trident15.

and were not we only have dirt bikes i wish i had a dual sport.

and thanks guys for all the advice ill have to try all them out.
jettytaco is offline   Reply With Quote