Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport USCG, 6-22-10

Well I didn't wake with my alarm, so I ended up twilight fishing. Set up my yak and started walking down to the water. Found out my normal walk around the garages and down the concrete walkway was blocked. Turns out they tore out the Coast Guard's building and that area was closed as well as almost all of the beach.

I did make it down though and launched just after high tide, about 7:30pm. Water was about 67, wind was going 15kts+, partly cloudy, and the air was maybe low 60's.

Tried fishing the drop off right out of the launch and got wacked right away. but, that was it. Tried the triangle for nothing, tried the moored boats to the north for nothing. Moved across to the boats on the peninsula side for a few bites. At almost full dark I found myself on the docks and working my way toward the harbor mouth and out of the wind. Got to a section with a little beach and started working it over. I got short bit on a 4" flurry (fire avocado) quite a few times, so I switched to a 3" and quickly popped a 2+ spottie. Wasn't big, but it took drag and generally just fought like a bastard. I got a few more bites and then it just died. It was dark but the little beach some light from a dock. Then I noticed the Red Tide was BADDDD! I haven't seen one one so bad in years. The littlest movement had the water glowing.

So I started to focus on docks with lights, but for some reason most everyone had their dock lights out. Dang. Came around the corner and for some reason the Red Tide was even worse (maybe it was just darker out?). Kept looking for lit up docks and found 2 more. For Nothing. Then I got a nicer model (4+) sand bass that was a bit away from the drop off. Finally I decided to fish the lit up drop off across the jetty from the Wedge. I never get anything big there, but usually lots of shorts. Well not that night. One bite. After about 45min. I gave up and headed in about 10:30.

It was better than work and it'll serve as a good reminder to wake up in the morning with my alarm.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Well I didn't wake with my alarm, so I ended up twilight fishing. Set up my yak and started walking down to the water. Found out my normal walk around the garages and down the concrete walkway was blocked. Turns out they tore out the Coast Guard's building and that area was closed as well as almost all of the beach.
I haven't been to NP since the construction started and I have heard its difficult getting to the launch. How is the parking? Has that been affected too? Do you just cart your yak across the sand?

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
I haven't been to NP since the construction started and I have heard its difficult getting to the launch. How is the parking? Has that been affected too? Do you just cart your yak across the sand?
Yeah you have to truck it in the sand. They left a strip on the far left open. It's a pain, but the parking is the same at least.