Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
old_rookie

using a cart

I bought this cart http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...el-Cart/Detail after realizing my construction abilities for a durable cart aren't too good, or simply the PVC cement isn't designed to withstand a kayak. Has anyone used the cart in the link? What is the best way to use it other than 'just strap it on' ? I tried it in my backyard where it are some good bumps and each time it would 'fall-off' - the strap didn't slide off, it basically didn't go over the bump - it was only a 2" bump from the grass to the concrete.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Jim Sammons LJKF

The are designed to be strapped on, so just strap it on. With that said, it is best to put it pretty far forward, when I use my I place it just under where my seat is. This balances the boat on the cart pretty well so you have the least amount of weight in your hand.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
CobraTandem

I use one very similar. It is great because it quickly breaks down and folds so it fits in the hull. Using two straps secured tightly and positioned as Jim mentions, it is very secure. This is excellent for hard ground, grass, packed sand, etc. However if you try to carry all your gear and a heavier kayak through soft sand for any distance, you are guaranteed to get a good cardio workout. No problem on the lighter kayaks. These wheels are not designed for soft sand and you end up plowing them through. I find if I lighten the load, it is doable but it kind of defeats the purpose. They have a similar setup with the balloon wheels but not quite as compact.

If you view your kayak fishing activities as a workout to help keep you healthy and don't mind onlookers laughing as you pull like a mule through soft sand, it is perfect!
CobraTandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
maui jim

Cool

I have a Corbra Tandem ( We are a choosen few, the best usually are....) have fished it for 14 years, also I have made a PVC cart which the yak sits on and not thru the scuppers, Where the 1" PVC joins at elbows I used removable "D" Pins and drilled them thru the elbows I used 1/4" pins.(Prevents the PVC from twisting) and added 30cm Wheeleze, It all breaks down and can store inside the Cobra Tandem,
I have some old roofpads from surfing used to rest the kayak on ( I never had any issue with the hull flexing on the pads), and I also used a ( 1 ) roof strap from my surfboards also to attach to yak, its shorter and works great. Its perfect size. I take some pics and post.
The cart works great over any sand , and with all the gear in tow.,
I usually walk the cart back to the truck, but have taken it with me on occasions. I usually like to keep the "trunk" for fish and battery storage.
If you see and old Gray Cobra Tandem in LJ look me up and I'll show ya.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
Regor
Greg

Here's the wheels I am trying to find for a yak cart:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yak_wheels.jpg (30.4 KB, 211 views)
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
maui jim

where's the steering wheel? or do you use ropes like the old days......maybe add a sail and you have a land yak
Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

return it

I bought the same cart, used it once and promptly returned it for a refund. The kick stand is worthless and mine kept collapsing on me.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
KirkG.

This looks like a decent cart. Seems like a pretty good deal.

For information see:
C-Tug Trolley

KirkG.
KirkG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
taggermike

I made a cart out of PVC pipe, wheels from Harbour Fraght, and a 1/2 copper water pipe for an axle. It worked for years. It didn't collapse and stow but it supported my kayaks and rolled well. I used it many times to carry the kayak up and down the steep ass road to salt Creek in OC. The only time it let me down is when I accidently rolled it off an 18" curb with a fully loaded yak on it. It took about 10 minutes to fix with a PVC coupler. MIke
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
old_rookie

Used the cart this weekend- worked great. Parked in the lot at LJ shores, pulled it a bit through the lot then up the handicap ramp to the sidewalk. Pulled it along the walk all the way to the boat launch, once I got in the soft sand I really had to pull hard. I thought this is where the cart is going to yank out from under but it didn't - I had two straps holding it in place. On the way back had no problem. It's a keeper for me.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
cowboybill

4x4 ?

Nice lift on your off road rig !?!?

Wheels for me are a dilema, big soft inflatable wheels that need air (another thing to need maintenance) or cheap wheels that dont like to roll over cracks, and or sand...

Hmmmm

cowboybill

PS, I hear that the scuppers are a weak point for side and twist loads...the kind wheels transmit to the yak

Last edited by cowboybill; 08-17-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: PS
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote