Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
92yj

kayak storage, to much time on my hands.

i have to much time on my hands.lol. so i came up with a solution to my storage problems. well here you go.

92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
dorado123

that's A good work

I'll make similar one next weekend
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Nice, but now where to you store the storage rack.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
92yj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Nice, but now where to you store the storage rack.

Bob
lol in the garage....i just needed to be able to move them out when i am welding. i would be p.o.ed if i got hot slag on one of them........this just makes it faster to move them at the same time. i am thinking of putting down some plywood on the bottom, so i can put my milk crates, pfds, or other stuff.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
TT5150
Slayer

Hey you copied my design sucka, come finish mine now.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Dean Machine

NICE! Especially the wheels.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
Billy V

If you store them upside down it won't deform the hull.
Better keep an eye on it.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
TT5150
Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
Say what???????? I never thought of that, should you always store them upside down? I am using a similar setup (92 is my brother, ) I didn't use wheels though mine sits on the ground and the top racks are my surfboards.
TT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Kesepton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT5150 View Post
Say what???????? I never thought of that, should you always store them upside down? I am using a similar setup (92 is my brother, ) I didn't use wheels though mine sits on the ground and the top racks are my surfboards.
Yeah, and they can bow as well. I am not sure how bad it really is, but why not be safe? I think theres an article on here about storage.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
92yj

well that's a good point. i think it will be ok because i put a center support on the top one, also i can flip them over if i need to. the orange one has a vary rigged center kill, so i don't think it will be a problem. but for the price of a new yak, i think i will just flip it over.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Billy makes a good point. Sometimes I set my kayak on some saw horses outside when working on a project. After sitting in the sun for a few hours the plastic gets soft enough for the bottom of the hull to take the shape of the flat sawhorse making a big dent in the bottom of the hull.

So far my yak as always returned to the appropriate shape when it cools down. I suspect that this could become a real problem for those kayaks stored deck side up in the sun for weeks or months.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
ctrujillo

store them on your rack upside down.made same type of rack last year and bowed bottom of my hull real bad.with the summer heat and no ventalation it caused dammage.i s*** my pants.luckily i left it in the sun and it popt back in place.i now store upside down and have no more problems
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #13
old_rookie

Nice set up. Was there a thread about storing kayaks with pics? I need to figure out how hoist mine up in the garage - and be sure it doesn't fall on the car.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
fongman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I need to figure out how hoist mine up in the garage - and be sure it doesn't fall on the car.
It's easy if your garage is not finished (drywalled). After you hoist it up, secure it with a safety rope. Cinch it down tight and it will take some of the load off the hoist straps/rope. btw, the Gorilla Rack has wheels so I can move it when I want to lower the sptw.
fongman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
old_rookie

Part of the it is finished with drywall. But I have no problem cutting holes in it. So far I cut two openings to get to the support joists. I'll be screwing in hooks to hang 55lbs pulleys (two, one at each end of the kayak) to run rope through and lift the kayak. Then install two rope anchors to tie off the two ropes.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #16
dmrides

I heard that hanging them through the scuppers is also a safe way to do it without causing any deformation. Is this true?

If so, does it matter if it is hung upside down or right side up?
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If you have a garage bay that has roll up doors which never get opened as is the case at my house, the metal roll up door guides make a great place to store a kayak or two.

Bob
Old 06-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Useful Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
I heard that hanging them through the scuppers is also a safe way to do it without causing any deformation. Is this true?

If so, does it matter if it is hung upside down or right side up?
NO, that's a bad idea. Good way to develop a cracked scupper. If you hang the kayak, make a sling out of rope through a length of garden hose or foam tube or carpet thingamajig, or what have you, and have it cradle the kayak around the hull about 1/3 overall length from each end. Never hang it by a handle, eyelet, scupper, or anywhere else. Just go completely around the kayak to avoid any problems.

As for the wooden rack, definitely flip the kayaks upside down. Everybody's right on with the denting issue. Flip em over or add a holder that's conformed to the shape of the hull rather than a straight cross bar.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
wiseguy

Goop down some foam blocks that are used to tranport the kayak on the top of a car. They come with the "V" shap and should work fine on this setup.

Nicely done by the way.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
jorluivil

Quote:
It's amazing how fast they can deform. One weekend I had my yak sitting on the cart/wheels for about 3-4 hours while I did some work to it. when I went to load the yak on my truck I noticed that one side of the yak was deformed, it was right in the area where the yak came to sit on the cart. I managed to fix it by cutting a small block of wood and jamming in on the inside of the hull, left it like that overnight and it was fine in the morning. It was a warm weekend when this happened so I'm sure this was a factor.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote