Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Newport Kelp

I thought I would give a quick report for those of you scoping out the newport beach area.

Got out to the kelp in front of Little Corona Beach at around 9ish am. The bait of choice was shrimp, great for some sheephead but I also noticed the bass take a liking to it too. So anyways, first drop within a minute or so I hook up, I play it out gets stuck in the kelp a couple of times but I eventually pull it out, turns out to be a sheephead, that got released. Move a little south, fish one of the outer stringers to hook up on a fat sculpin, which I kept to make some tacos out of. Moved a little more south, to catch a just short sandbass. Then moved to the edge of crystal cove to catch a perch and small calico. Did some scenic paddling back as I was watching all the garibaldis since the water was so clear. Ended fishing the first spot again for another small calico. Called it a day at around 1 pm. All in all, the fishing was slow but it was still a great day on the water. Sunny and 77 for most of the day. Sorry for no pics, just a little too distracted chillin' on the yak.

Now I'm gonna get out there with my spear and hopefully get a nice bass for mas tacos tomorrow.

Tight lines everyone.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
carbonbass

Dropper looped?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Dropper looped?
Yes, dropper looped with a size 4 hook.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post
Yes, dropper looped with a size 4 hook.
where do you get your shrimp? Is it a certain kind? Would love to try for a sheep, never checked that off my list. BTW you been doing any codding out there off the newport shelf lately? Waiting for the season to open up, gotta be some toads out there with all the time off on the pressure
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
shawny

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post
I thought I would give a quick report for those of you scoping out the newport beach area.

Got out to the kelp in front of Little Corona Beach at around 9ish am..
Love that place! Nice little haven for good rockfish, sculpin, and calicos. And it sounds like a fun time on the water!

Now this is something I've always thought about.. have you ever heard of out-of-the-ordinary fish being caught in the kelp in that area? Say... lingcod?
shawny is offline   Reply With Quote