Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Knife jigs

Anyone have any luck with these or have any tips on how to fish em. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Do you guys add a hook to the back?
yak-fishing-socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
TJones

Is that your new arsonal ?

Have you dropped One overboard ? I bet they have great action on the drop . Keep us posted .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

I got 6 oz figure that was a good size
Old 03-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

See u have the owner assist hooks. I normally fish knife ifs like an erratic yo-yo jig.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
monstahfish

I've caught a number of species on butterfly jigs inlcuding stripers, tuna, jacks, amberjacks, groupers, blue trevally even large rainbow trout(smallest size available). No yellows yet though which really surprises me because amberjack which are a close cousin, slam the hell out of them. No need for a hook on the bottom. I have been told by pros out here that yellows don't go for them but I have a hard time believing that.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Nice thanks and is the bite usually on the way down or when ripping it back up ?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
C.W.C.
Salt

KNIVES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
Anyone have any luck with these or have any tips on how to fish em. Any information would be greatly appreciated

Do you guys add a hook to the back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak-fishing-socal View Post
Nice thanks and is the bite usually on the way down or when ripping it back up ?

Yes. Both. I have had more bites on the fall after I have danced it up & down a few licks..
I use a lightly slower retrieve than you would burn a yoyo due to its slimmer profile and straight speed.
(Which is why i guess I’m getting bit more on the drop. Same thing happens with bladed jigs..Pause, BOOM!
Japanese Knife Jigs..I have a love hate relationship with them. More so the former, as I find myself often at the bench grinder with a handful of Salvey flatware on .10 cent sale day..If those are Jimmy Caivos LB knives, I have the #2 & #4 and they do produce!
That #2 has a nice first belly coat of glow paint, or at least on mine it does. (Looks similar.)
I have had great luck with them in Florida for a multitude of species, but you fish them differently over there too. Locally, its slightly different than wreck or reef jiggin, but you could wind & grind them fluttering it upon a bait ball clearly getting worked of course, or on the outside of some bird action to entice. I don't buy into that videos promo with the matching $1500 set ups.. Few different ways to fish it.. Also those flat fall shimanos are nice for that side application..I prefer/have more confidence, using yo-yos in the basic approach for a multitude of reasons and versatility, also across a multitude of local species + for dead sticking. When you see those single Monster boomerangs hovering a few feet off the bottom deep, that is when I will throw a knife Vs. Yoyo to really speed drop on that solo mark in over 140’ & get him to notice it before he passes on his own hunt..With a school of thirty class yellows in -140’, at least a couple will notice a yoyo on the drop or upon on its dancing retrieve, but the ‘downfall’ is that it takes forever to get down..
For knives, I stage the hooks from the top. One long. one short. (Those medium size knives i prefer over the long chokers, that sometimes have hookset issue as a result. As it hits the rocky bottoms so fast, i have broken off quality yellows in the past from the bottom stinger cord breaking from the reef fraying. Since those heartbreaks, I only secure from the top..) To each their own..I still find myself burning the yoyo more, but the knives still have a secure spot in my small tackle box..
Old 03-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Nice thanks for all the information I'm hoping I get to go out this week to san o to give em a try
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
steveooo

My attempt at knife jigs...

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I have been told by pros out here that yellows don't go for them but I have a hard time believing that.
funny you say that, i was yo yoing the hell out of the shimano butterfly jigs, but the iron got the attention.

that spoon work is very Clever!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 03-23-2015 at 09:45 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #11
yak-fishing-socal
kayak fishing socal

Nice work 🔪👍