Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
jorluivil

CALLING OUT ALL EXPERIENCED HO.....................

CALLING OUT ALL EXPERIENCED HOOPNETTERS!!!!!

Do you anchor or drift after you drop your nets?

Where do prefer to store your catch?

Most of my trips will be in the San Pedro / Long Beach area....every so often something south of us. Is there a map that shows what areas are closed for hoopnetting?

Do you carry a search light?

The season is just around the corner, I'd prefer to start preparing now and not midway through the season. I've gone out on my old boat several times so I have boating experience. If it's dangerous from a boat, I'm sure it not any easier from a yak.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Vikingj

Drift. You really won’t have time to anchor if you are setting out several nets 15-20 yds apart, soaking them 15-20min, hauling them up, untangling the bugs, measuring the keepers, and paddling back to the start of your trap line. I barely have time for a few sips of beer or coke and a chance to relieve myself! If the bugs are on the crawl, more than 15min may be too much time. I normally get 20-30 hungry shorts for every keeper and the seals often will steal your bait. I take 2-3 extra full bait cages to replace the empties.fficeffice" />>>
Storage. I empty almost everything out of my hull and throw the keepers down the hatch. When a hatch is unavailable I will bring a gunny sack or a driver’s large “goodie bag”.>>
Lights. A headlamp ($15-30) is a must for hands-free work. Also I mount a 360* lamp (about $20 at West Marine) on a 3-4ft pole and place it in a rod or post holder. If that lamp fails (or you forget to bring it) I will tie a glow stick at the end of a rod/post. I always bring a waterproof flashlight as a backup. It’s a good idea to put reflective tape on you PFD.>>
Be safe. Never go alone. Always wear a life vest and bring a whistle & a compass (fog often arises unexpectedly). Bilge pump is also recommended. Light glove(s) useful (I just wear one). Remember that you are not highly visible to power boaters (esp. after they have had several beers) so think ahead and keep yourself out of harm’s way.>>
Now go have fun and catch a lot of bugs.>>
Wayne>>
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote