Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Vacmaster

After using foodsavers for many years with mixed results...I was really tired of running out of bags late at night, having to seal, reseal, wait to cool down...make bags...I was done with it...

So awhile back the topic was brought up about vacuum sealers, and I had just recently bought the VP215 from qualitymatters at that time. So fast forward 6 or 7 months to today, and I have been using it on a regular basis every week or every other week, but a lot recently....After having used it for awhile, I wanna say it is an amazing machine and has a surprisingly reasonable price for what it does.

We as fisherman in my opinion should do everything possible to utilize as much of the fish as we possibly can, we owe it to the fish and ourselves to do this. This machine not only allows us to extend the life of the fish well beyond what ziplocks or a foodsaver can do, but more importantly preserve the quality of our catch for a very long time if need be.

Here is a quick look at the process and the superior results using the VP215.

Don't forget the collars and bellies!!!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
steveooo

I really want one of those. Waiting for my foodsaver to kick the bucket, and that will be my next purchase.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
wade

Hey Tony, I don't mean to thread jack ya, but this is in relation to your posting & since it is all about how to get the best possible results for your hard earned game, there is no reason to short change yourself at the very end..

I have been seeing numerous members using newspapers & magazine publications to lay their meat on before vacuuming..
Have you ever looked at your hand after flipping through just a couple pages of the local Tribune?..
I realize people have been doing this for centuries, and some probably smoke twenty packs of camels a day @ ninety seven years old still kickin, but Butchers use that speciality paper for a reason..

Keeping your counter clean is one thing, but also keep in mind that even though some of the new technology that very few printing agencies are utilizing, IE: soy based inks, recycled, ect, it should be treated as if they are all carcinogenic by nature. The Printing Industry and its industrial workers are included in those lists of occupational hazards..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Good point wade, I try not to lay it directly on the print, but on paper napkins to absorb the excess moisture, it's hangn over a little in the picture, that filet was a long one...but Im pretty sure that the mercury in the fish will end up killing us sooner than a little newspaper print...I hope...
Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

It was not hanging over THAT much.

I think Wade was talking about larger meat samples.

Nice set up Tony, if I ever catch a fish you can process it for me.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
jorluivil

Its going to be an expensive weekend for me.

The old lady has revoked my freezer privileges so I have to get a deep freezer and my Foodsaver was acting up last week. The vacmaster isn't cheap but if it can keep up with sealing badge after badge of fish or whatever else you vacuum seal its worth the money.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Good point wade, I try not to lay it directly on the print, but on paper napkins to absorb the excess moisture, it's hangn over a little in the picture, that filet was a long one...but Im pretty sure that the mercury in the fish will end up killing us sooner than a little newspaper print...I hope...
I lost my kitchen privilege for processing fish after stinking up the house too many times. I bought a cheap folding table with a plastic top at BigLots...now I do all my processing outside. Just wipe it down with bleach and water before and after.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Siebler

Tony, Awesome isnt it?

Just wait until you start doing the Retort Canning.

Mine never leaves the kitchen, has its own rolling cart with boxes of all the different size pouches under it. Of all my cool commercial grade equipment this is the only one that tops my big meat grinder in the amount of use it gets! Even leftovers go into the Vacmaster instead of Ziplocks.

Dont forget to watch your oil and do that first oil change when it starts looking milky!

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote