Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Darkstar

Kayak transport

Hello all,

Not exactly fishing related but im wondering if anyone transports their Kayak(s) on a small truck without a rack system? I priced some racks for the Tonka and they seem to run 400 - 500 bucks! Im thinking about just getting a ladder rack for $100 and using that, any suggestions? advice?

thanks,

D
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
newguy01

rack

if you have a square hitch reciever? go check out harbor freight for the truck bed extender. just put you kayak on the bed and have a red flag at the end.
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy01 View Post
if you have a square hitch reciever? go check out harbor freight for the truck bed extender. just put you kayak on the bed and have a red flag at the end.

great investment....bought one used off mtnbyker for 40 bucks.

Although depending on the size of your kayak (mine being a stealth12 at i believe 12'6) you could just put it in the bed with the tailgate up. The first couple times i transported mine, either when i first purchased it in paramount or to the launch, i just put a shipping blanket down in the bed and an old foam pad that i used to use for my surfboard on the tailgate. Then angled the kayak in and tied a rope from the hook in the bed then looped it through the 2 scupper holes in the tank well then over to the hook on the other side of the bed. Then used one of those kind of like crank tie downs that people use for dirt bikes n such up by the tailgate. Worked good with my size kayak but could see it being a little more difficult with anything longer as there would be more weight on the side hanging out then the side inside the bed.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy01 View Post
You will also need lights if you use it in between dusk to dawn.

bed extender

http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-b...der-45830.html

lights

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...kit-67455.html

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsouthcounty View Post
great investment....bought one used off mtnbyker for 40 bucks.

Although depending on the size of your kayak (mine being a stealth12 at i believe 12'6) you could just put it in the bed with the tailgate up. The first couple times i transported mine, either when i first purchased it in paramount or to the launch, i just put a shipping blanket down in the bed and an old foam pad that i used to use for my surfboard on the tailgate. Then angled the kayak in and tied a rope from the hook in the bed then looped it through the 2 scupper holes in the tank well then over to the hook on the other side of the bed. Then used one of those kind of like crank tie downs that people use for dirt bikes n such up by the tailgate. Worked good with my size kayak but could see it being a little more difficult with anything longer as there would be more weight on the side hanging out then the side inside the bed.
I have an 03 Nissan pu, short bed, 4 ft I think, I got a set of adjustable ladder racks, and modified the hieght to be just at cab hieght, I will eventually have them fabricated in aluminum, however these racks are available all over CL and Ebay for around 50.00 to 100.00, the yak goes up and down easily, unless you truck is lifted then that would be alittle tougher, Tim has seen my set up, it's clean and easy, yak goes upside down, and strapped at the rack with ratchet tie downs, I am loaded and unloaded quicker than most, I may have a pic if you need...hope that helps....b
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
PapaDave

Try one of these, they are called hitch extenders and they are $86 onn eBay with free shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PICKUP-TRUCK-BED...item2a1184db35

I use this to transport my Pro Angler, just slide the kayak into the bed and onto this, tie it down and you are done. Very little lifting.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
I have an 03 Nissan pu, short bed, 4 ft I think, I got a set of adjustable ladder racks, and modified the hieght to be just at cab hieght, I will eventually have them fabricated in aluminum, however these racks are available all over CL and Ebay for around 50.00 to 100.00, the yak goes up and down easily, unless you truck is lifted then that would be alittle tougher, Tim has seen my set up, it's clean and easy, yak goes upside down, and strapped at the rack with ratchet tie downs, I am loaded and unloaded quicker than most, I may have a pic if you need...hope that helps....b
I'd like to see a pic, I drive a f150 and just let the Xfactor hang out the bed with the tail gate down. Been thinking of doing a lumber rack since I don't have a trailer hitch.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Darkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
I'd like to see a pic, I drive a f150 and just let the Xfactor hang out the bed with the tail gate down. Been thinking of doing a lumber rack since I don't have a trailer hitch.
a pic would help, thats basically what i had been thinking about doing. I have a bed liner so i'll probably have to do a bit of cutting.

I dont have a hitch (or bumper) on the tonka toy, and i have a toolbox in there so i figured the ladder rack was my best bet.

thanks all!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
Darkstar

well..bought a ladder rack,hauled my truck box out, hauled my bed liner off and unpacked the brackets to install.... don't fit

back to the drawing board, doesnt look like i'll have any inexpensive options.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

What kind of ladder rack?

I know a guy who used to fish La Jolla before attack of the clones, named Katchbait, or Katch something. Anyway he used something like this. Works good if you have only 1 kayak. I used to use the bed of my truck, when I had a 12ft kayak, it was awesome not having to lift it onto a rack. But then I went to a 16ft, then 14ft kayak, so I got Thule racks.

Anyway, here is a one similar that he used.

http://www.harborfreight.com/250-lb-...tm_source=1003
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

what about two of these.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cargo-h...bar-43569.html

span them across the bed at the top and strap the yak to them.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Darkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post

I know a guy who used to fish La Jolla before attack of the clones, named Katchbait, or Katch something. Anyway he used something like this. Works good if you have only 1 kayak. I used to use the bed of my truck, when I had a 12ft kayak, it was awesome not having to lift it onto a rack. But then I went to a 16ft, then 14ft kayak, so I got Thule racks.

exactly that one
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

I made one out of wood, basically a box fame out of 2x4's. Kinda ghetto, but needed to haul 2 kayaks to baja when I was young and broke. I just pulled it out of the bed when not in use, stored it in my backyard.

You can look for something like this below. $160 for the pair, of course, you'd have to go to Santucky.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...4&postcount=15
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #14
jerr-dog

Well I drive a Ford Ranger & use tie down straps like the ones used to strap dirt bikes. I run them through the scupper holes with the tail gate down & tighten down. I use my red pdf to clip on the end of the kayak & it's not going ANYWHERE! I can stack a second kayak on top but it's not as secure as just with one. It sticks out but no need to get an additonal rack or extender when you don't really need one. Like I said if it's just my Fish N Dive on there when it's tight. It's tight. I take it on the freeway ect with no worries.
jerr-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post

that's it, yes there is modification to do, pm me or call me and I will explain, mean time I will look for a pic to send, the guy up at the kiddie beach, can't remember his name, white box van with the dogs...and yaks, think he lives in the van, talks your ear off...he said he has never seen a set up like mine...but he isn't all there...lol
Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
well..bought a ladder rack,hauled my truck box out, hauled my bed liner off and unpacked the brackets to install.... don't fit

back to the drawing board, doesnt look like i'll have any inexpensive options.
don't give up yet, pm me, I will "splain"