Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Drake

Halibut in the bay?

I'm bored sitting around and want to launch out in the bay for a nice relaxing Halibut session. I haven't been in the bay yet, nor fished for Halibut so a companion would be nice!

I'm going to stop by OEX to pick up a Bouncing ball rig, since everyone says that works lol. Anyone want to do a quick trip? I'm planning to launch around 4 and come in by 630. Text me, 516-884-5813
Old 08-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
GregAndrew

You might want to note which bay you are talking about. Also, bounce balling is not going to be real relaxing cause it involves a lot of paddle/peddling.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #3
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
You might want to note which bay you are talking about. Also, bounce balling is not going to be real relaxing cause it involves a lot of paddle/peddling.
I don't mind some paddling!
Wheres a good bay launch spot... I was just thinking of parking at OEX and launching out by the sail boat moorings and adventuring.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
wiseguy

try huntington harbor and toss some 3"-4" big hammers in sexy smelt color
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
taggermike

I haven't heard of anglers fishing the bounce ball in water as shallow as the back of Mission Bay but I suppose it could work. In SD Bay I have better success with live bait, lighter (10-15lb) line, and more of a finesse approach. Give the BB a shot and tell us how you do. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Rhynik
Junior

When I take my son out on the back of my Outback, he's caught several small halibut. Largest was 18." What works for him is a drop shot with a 2 1/2" grub about 15" off the bottom.

You end up catching a lot of spotties as well.

This is in SD Bay, launching from SI.
Rhynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

At SI keep the bait on the bottom, bring that bait up to about a 4 in Hammer, the spots will destroy it in the tide, if the water isn't moving you just have to wait for the switch, keep it in about 30-50 foot range, the will get biggerlove SI
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote