Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
brokeassboater
Junior

NEED SOME ADVISE ON A KAYAK

Hi my name is Gregg. First post on this board. I posted this on BD forum and a guy suggested that I try here. Hope to get some friendly help from you guys even though Im a newbie here.
My wife has been chirpping for sometime now about getting a kayak. Now Ive been informed that "this is what she will" be getting from me for xmas. So let me set this up to all of you so I might do this right the first time. Her nor I have no experiance with this other than her renting one 15 years ago for a couple of hours on a very small river. She thinks she wants a tandem. I have only luke warm intrest at best at this point. A tandom tells me that I must be included in this little idea of hers. My plan is to rent some yaks and let her (and I) see if this is something that might be fun. Here's where I need the help. I would like to rent a size and shape that would end up buying. It should be fishable, can carry live jumbo minnows, a place for a small FF, rod holders, maybe small ice chest. We live right at the doorsteps to the delta so most of the time we will be in sloughs and rivers that have tidal currents. Stability and and slips thru the water if its possible to have both. Occasional trips to the bays along the coast. My wife is 46 yrs old and good physical shape but not a overly powerful in strenght type of girl. So I want to have something she can handle with some gear onboard and paddle sometimes against a current. Cost is important since if this is something that we like we'll need two since the tandom dosent sound that great to me. Also this would just be an additional way, not our only way to fish so the high end yaks would not be concidered.
brokeassboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
jorluivil

You want the best answer?

Go see Andy @ OEX

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
brokeassboater
Junior

Im in N. Ca. Just looking for some basic knowlege from some guys in the sport. Theres got to be a reason I dont see the 199.00 specials from the local sporting store out the on the water. Fishing from one gets my attention. Whats a good length. Sit on top seems to be what you guys have. Is there something to look for in a design. We'll rent a couple for a day and try it. I was able to retire at 55yrs old this summer. So going out and buying two of the Mercades class kayaks aint going to happen. I don't have the option of putting in some O.T. to pay for toys like before.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Drake

Personal suggestion? You're eventually going to get a hobie, save the money and do it right the first time.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Fiskadoro

Delta..flatwater...Live bait...Stability...

The Malibu Stealth is ideal for your application, it's exactly what it was designed for.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
tacmik

I would go online and look for a local kayak shop in your region if their is one. Talk to them and rent several different brands and sizes. You might also try and find a local kayak club and find out what they paddle. Also I would get two yaks his and hers. Tell wifey that that is in case one or the other of you want to go out alone, much harder for one person to paddle a tandem.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Personal suggestion? You're eventually going to get a hobie, save the money and do it right the first time.
I totally agree with Drake here, but what is cool here is that your wife is interested in it, first of all you are on the Delta...Delta + kayak + great company, + a fishy area =a great time.
However going out on a few demos before you purchase one isn't a bad idea,
but like he said....do it right the first time and save the $ in the long run...
The Delta is on my bucket list...maybe someday...welcome aboard....
Old 09-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
ctfphoto

If you don't want to spend the money on a Hobie (peddel type) then get a Wilderness Systems Kayak as they are super stable and super fast,

They are set up to be outfitted for fishing.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
StinkyMatt

Rocket science directions:

Google local kayak shop

Call local kayak shop

Go to the kayak shop

Try a kayak

Try another kayak

Repeat if necessary.

Enjoy your new past time .
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
salty pirate

how fast are the currents ? a fast yak will get you about 5-6 mph if you are working. a stable fishing yak 3-4 mph. I have a hobie pa and an outback they both avrage 3-4 mph all day. if you dont want to spend a lot of $ i recomend a used outback. probably $900-1500.
be carful kayak fishing is addictive, you might end up back at work to pay for your habbit.

good luck
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
brokeassboater
Junior

Thanks guys, great info for me. Renting a few will be the deciding factor. 90% of our time on the water would be right here in the delta. 1100 miles of winding rivers and sloughs to hit. Very few Kayaks around other than around the Marinas.

There are areas here what we call tulle berms, they look like islands but are nothing more than shallow areas and the tulles have grown around it. Lots of thick Elodea growning, and carpets of floating vegatation the stuff you see in fish aquariums. Get thru it, to the inside and there small patches of shallow open water inside, I want to hit these spots with live minnows for Stripers and lunker LMB. The Hobie looks like it might hang up in this type of water or Im i missing something.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Delta..flatwater...Live bait...Stability...

The Malibu Stealth is ideal for your application, it's exactly what it was designed for.
I'm with Jim on this one. It sounds like a paddle kayak is what your wife is looking for and the stealth meets your requirements as well. I kayak fished the Delta a couple years ago and didn't need a Hobie at all. A lot of the areas up there are nice slow current and perfect for paddling. Plus its a lot of reed fishing and you want an easy form of reverse. With a hobie you would end up paddling it often to get into fishy areas and they don't handle near as well as other kayaks.

Find a shop to test paddle some yaks and find what you like best.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassboater View Post

There are areas here what we call tulle berms, they look like islands but are nothing more than shallow areas and the tulles have grown around it. Lots of thick Elodea growning, and carpets of floating vegatation the stuff you see in fish aquariums. Get thru it, to the inside and there small patches of shallow open water inside, I want to hit these spots with live minnows for Stripers and lunker LMB. The Hobie looks like it might hang up in this type of water or Im i missing something.
Ya, thats true. The Hobies are not the perfect choice for skinny water, or areas with lots of vegetation. However, you will always have a paddle with a Hobie, and you can just pull out the mirage drive and paddle when you get into the areas you described. That's what most guys do down here when fishing the kelp beds. Hobie's are great for covering distance, long fishing days, and the ability to move while fishing.

As suggested above, the Stealth might fit the bill of what you are looking for. Live bait, stable, and a quality made kayak. The other suggestions of test driving a few are also good. Good luck in your search.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Amish Ed

I'll second both the Stealth and Wilderness Systems (Tarpon 140). The has a built in bait tank, so that might be perfect for you. I like the T-140 better in general, but you'd need to build or buy a bait tank. I think the 14' length is what you want since it is in between speed and stability. Any shorter and wider (stability) you'll be getting a tug boat. Any longer (speed) and you'll have a harder time maneuvering in tight areas.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #15
OpenWater
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassboater View Post
Thanks guys, great info for me. Renting a few will be the deciding factor. 90% of our time on the water would be right here in the delta. 1100 miles of winding rivers and sloughs to hit. Very few Kayaks around other than around the Marinas.
There is a new kayak shop right near you in Oakley at the Big Break Marina. It's called Adventure Sports and they rent kayaks.

I've personally owned the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 and Tarpon 160. I've taken both out on the Delta (and everywhere else, all the way up to the SF Bay), and I like both for different reasons. However, I recently sold the Tarpon 120 to upgrade to a Hobie Outback.

Best thing to do would be to go rent a few and see which one you like best. That's what I did before buying the Hobie, and I'm sure glad I did. I tested out three different kayaks and actually ended up liking a different one than I was originally planning to buy.
OpenWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #16
TJones

nobody mentioned hobie?

did you say cost is not a issue? $$$$$$$ . no comparison peddling as opposed to paddling. you could save money buying used? of course there are dealers that demo the models. needless to say , excellent fishing platforms. for about 300 big ones they will gladly sell a nice bait tank with a hobie label on it , and rod holders included. good luck . initial investment high, but if it is something that you like , well worth. very good resale value also. doing a demo is an excellent idea.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
jbaker

Go see Dan arbuckle at Headwaters Kayak shop in Lodi. He's got a lot of nice kayaks and is doing a gear swap in two weeks. His gear swap is an awsome place to get used kayaks and gear for good prices. Check out NorCal kayak anglers.com while your at it too.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
brokeassboater
Junior

Funny you mention Big Break marina, we were there today. did a free demo for about 2 hrs on a trident 130 and my wife had one that I assume was a 110. Good guys over there. We learned alot and we're going to try a few more. Big Break has all the shallow berms,tulles floating veg. that I wanted to try and slip thru. Little wind today and the water was pool clear inside the shallows. Saw pleanty of fish and supprise a flock of 20+ greenheads. All the replys are much apreciated.
Headwaters in Lodi.. thanks for that we'll check them out also.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Mongo Johnson

All the boats mentioned are better purpose-built boats, as opposed to cheapy "fun" fun yaks from Big 5. They're all a step up with more load capacity and better, stable designs.

The best advice is to try 'em and take the little bit of time it takes to learn about 'em.

It IS worth trying a Hobie with a Mirage drive, though it adds about 400 to cost. Try a Revolution and the Outback.

You can cover a lot of miles with them and do well in current and wind. Both are very stable. The Revo is faster. The Outback is more an SUV. Both are very fishable.

I have a Hobie Revolution and it fits "my" needs. Since we run offshore, covering some miles is great and the Hobie is a good fit. Kelp isn't a "problem" as we just clip up the flippers and paddle. For us, getting to the kelp is more the goal and longer tours. The drive is great for that as you can crank for an hour at a comfortable pace and be doing 4 mph the whole time. Heck, two hours is fine too.

And, try the others. All the boats mentioned are good boats.

Beware bias of a dealer "selling what he carries" and guys that are all "Ford v Chevy' on one brand or style of boat. I've got two pals who snagged a pair of Malibus at a sale and love 'em.

Think more ergonomics, and think hard about tandem v single. My wife and I have singles and are glad we did.

We've more latitude on the water and they're lighter loading/unloading. 'Nice to have two boats when takin' out friends or having a lighter option when out on our own.

I was just in Florida in Mosquito Lagoon and did a rental of a tradional yak. The overall area was pretty shallow and reedy near shore.

I "felt" limited in range on a normal yak. But, we still got around and had a good time.

We really did miss our Hobies coming back into the wind. It was more work and slower to get back. But, we did get back and still had fun on the water. Our experience with Hobies may have spoiled us, but if you're on the water, you're fine -- drive or otherwise.

The hands-free nature of a Hobie is kinda nice and may more relevant than "speed" or perceived speed. Once you're on the water with a good boat, drive or not, you'll be doing something you like.

It was a pain shooting pix and wrangling the paddle, something not an issue on our Hobies. But, it's not the end of the world. Fishing is the same.

Price point, ergonomics, the backing of a good mfg/dealer network ...

Last edited by Mongo Johnson; 09-02-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Mongo Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
Rufus

For sure demo every yack you can get your hands on before you buy. Pay attention to its weight because you and the wife will have to lift them up onto a roof rack on your car.

As far as paddle versus peddle arguement, I was a stubborn paddle purist for many years. My 27 year old son and I have always fished hard from our Malibus.

But I was secretly envious of the guys on peddle boats, especially the PAs. After talking to about twenty guys with Hobie's, I demo'd the PA and....well....that was all it took. The difference between paddle and peddle for fishing is day and night. I can keep the bow into the current or wind and cast to my heart's content. The PA is a battleship, it's a heavy mofo, but it's nimble on the water. And the energy it takes to move is much less than the paddle guys, especially into the weather. It makes sense, your quads are much larger than your back muscles.

My son is still a stubborn purist. So he still does the paddle, paddle, cast, paddle, paddle, cast cha cha.

So, fast forward to his spring. my 56 year old wife (I'm 57) felt left out and wanted to hit the water with us. So we demo'd a handful of boats. One thing became clear, her shoulders wouldn't put up with paddling. There was too much clicking and popping going on. The minute she got in a Hobie Revo 11 it was love at first ride.

So now when the boys are out fishing, she's getting her day in the sun with us on her own Revo. She listens to tunes on her iPhone, she takes photos and text messages her envious girfriends who are sitting at home on their asses and she gets her exercise.

And as far as the arguement goes with skinny water or weeds...the Hobie drive flattens against the hull. Simply transition to your paddle and move through the weeds. I do it all the time in the kelp beds. And if you get some weeds on the "props", you know it right away, but in most cases the weeds fall off without effort or simply reach down and lift up your drive.

One thing I'd pay attention to, the hull weight. How strong is your wife? Will she be able help load the boats? Can she lift much weight over her shoulders? Can she drag the boat on wheels down to the water? If not, that job will fall to you.

Finally, if your wife is willing to go yacking, DO IT! Do it now!!
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote