Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Poxy Boggards

Corona Lake Opener 10/27/12 - Good Times

I have been waiting for the Local Trout Season to start for over a month anticipating those long drag peeling runs on ultra light rods and reels. I dusted off the Phenix arsenal a couple of weeks ago and with the Elixir and Iron Feather in my hands I was ready to slay some trout. The Corona Lake opener was a nice welcome back for this avid trout angler. I arrived to the lineup at just after 5:00 AM to see the line stretch way beyond the entrance down Temescal Canyon Rd. At that point I figured that it would take forever to get in, but shortly after I arrived and started to prep some gear the line started to move quickly. I have to hand it to the Staff at Corona for making that long line of cars move as quickly as possible.

Decided to launch the Kayak down near the boat ramp. I saw how many people were headed over to the east side while I was in line, and knew that any real-estate to launch anything larger than a float tube would be nonexistent. Headed around the old stocking area a couple of times, the people on shore were doing very well, but the boats were not hooking up so I headed over towards JD's point. There were a ton of boats, float tubers and shore anglers in cove and beyond. I made my way through the gauntlet of vessels once before realizing that I did not want to participate in the shoulder to shoulder fishing that was going on.

Went over to the east side of the lake and found an area that wasn't too crowded and began my assault. Fishing was good with a nice steady pick of quality fish. I caught a few right away on the new Bite-On Fury powdered scent that is just about to hit the shelves; you are going to want some of this stuff in your bag of tricks. I was just taking a small bit and smashing it into some power bait. I had to stop using it because I didn't want to limit out too quickly. I switched up to a slow presentation of a power mouse/mice tails and that worked like a charm. I was using a new type of rig with a 1/8 of an ounce in-line sinker from Salamander Sinkers. They worked really well and I did not get hung up on the branches at all. The other great thing about these lead free weights is that they cast great! I hope you enjoy the video and pictures, and make Corona Lake one of your stops this trout season.

Not sure how to embed the video:
http://youtu.be/XlXPzLJ35b4

Poxy Boggards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Some nice feeesh!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Poxy Boggards

Thanks Blitzburg! appreciate the reply.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
StinkyMatt

That lake is pretty nice and close.

All except the big arse line inthemornings, especially on Saturdays.

Congrats on a nice day.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
roby
CEO of Team Roby

It looks like you had a great opener.....trout on light line is fun, fun, fun.

Nice video too....
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Those are some good-sized fish! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
mtnbykr2

I love the drag peeling shot...nice video
Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Poxy Boggards

Thanks for the replies! That was my first attempt at a video, and I think it turned out pretty well. Planning to hit up Anaheim Lake tomorrow and Irvine on Friday. More reports coming soon.