Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
BrokeLoser

What's that 12v battery you have all be raving about?

I've ran searches to no avail...my fish finder battery (12v 9.0ah) finally took a sh!t so it's time to replace. Can someone link me to the thread or recommend me the brand?

Thanks guys!
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I have had this one for a while now.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...BATTERY/Detail

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I have had this one for a while now.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...BATTERY/Detail
The one I have that went bad is also a GPS. It lasted two years without issue so I'm not opposed to getting another; I just thought I read somewhere here about a brand that everyone was talking about and something about a group buy? I could me mistaken though.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

The group buy I think you are referring to was for Lifepo4. If I remember correctly it was Greg Andrew that was the point of contact. Hit him up or Jorge.

see Jorges post here #18

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=solar

Have you been out to NPH lately?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

Old 11-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
YakMedic

Bioenno is the brand I use. It is a LiFePo4 battery its a pricey investment but it lasts so much longer than SLA batteries. I used to have 12v10a batterries die in 6 hours. With my bioenno it lasts days
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
The group buy I think you are referring to was for Lifepo4. If I remember correctly it was Greg Andrew that was the point of contact. Hit him up or Jorge.

see Jorges post here #18

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=solar

Have you been out to NPH lately?
Bingo...that's it Bus...Thanks!
I haven't been out of NPH in awhile....you?
I've been taking the boat out more often than the yak...been going south to the islands.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Bioenno is the brand I use. It is a LiFePo4 battery its a pricey investment but it lasts so much longer than SLA batteries. I used to have 12v10a batterries die in 6 hours. With my bioenno it lasts days
SHEESH!
I'm sure it's been talked about a bunch but at $150+ I can buy a lot of those 12v 10ah Chinese specials that have been lasting me about two years. I found them for $23 each...Mine have always lasted atleast a full day on the water.

How do you guys justify the cost difference?
Weight?
Do they last six times longer? (12 years)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Bingo...that's it Bus...Thanks!
I haven't been out of NPH in awhile....you?
I've been taking the boat out more often than the yak...been going south to the islands.
I was out a few weeks ago up north on the yak been spending too much time boating as well.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
danjor

LiFePo4 is the name with correct capitalization. Aka "lithium Iron Phosphate"

LiFePo4 Advantages
about 1/2 weight of SLA Battery
constant voltage threw out discharge cycle, makes better finder readings
Unlike SLA amp draw doesn't affect use able ah
Faster charge times
If taken care of more than 20k charge/discharge cycles = a ton of fishing trips

Disadvantages
Expensive about 5x cost of SLA
Depending on "C" raiting can shock the living daylights out of you
Needs a cell monitoring circuit to keep from over discharge
If over discharged battery dies, period
Needs a special charger

SLA aka "Sealed Lead Acid"
Advantages
Cheap around $20 for a Chinese 12v 10ah
Forgiving with overdischarge, just stick on a trickle charger

Disadvantages
Heavy, oh yea heavy
Voltage sag
Amount of current draw affects useble Ah
Can last 2 weeks or 2 years who knows

In my opinion the LiFePo4 are the superior battery and even with the higher cost if you put it in a pelican case with circuit management board and a good charger the batter will last as long as 10+ years with maby 10% ah loss over that period if properly taken care of and just for the reason of no voltage sag it is worth the investment! So as long as you take care of the battery it will take care of you.

Last edited by danjor; 11-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Fiskadoro

So I use a 10AH NIMH 12V. I initially thought it was 12AH but I checked it's only 10AH.

I found the exact battery on ebay, but it's gone up slightly in price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131018888014

When I bought mine everyone was using the normal lead acid batteries. Some people thought it was stupid or unnecessary to buy a fancy battery, but it was half the size and weight, had a longer power curve and according to the specs it was supposed to last for hundreds, even up to a thousands of charges if properly maintained.

Here's it's size compared to a standard 7AH sealed lead acid battery.

I don't have a thousand trips on it, but I do have a lot, and I think I bought the battery around this time of year back in 2008. It's still good and as a comparison I've gone through three lead acids for my bait tank since I bought it.

I just run electronics, but that's includes chart plotters, squid lights, and an old 300,000 Candlepower Q-Beam I carry for hooping.

I don't know that much about the newer technology batteries like the Lithiums, I'm sure they are great, but I'll tell you if my NIMH died tomorrow I'd buy another one, and right now at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if I got another two or three years out of this battery.

Just from my experience I'd say buying a better battery definitely pays off in the long run.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
jruiz
Large Member

LiFePO4
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
CR Yaker

Here's one of the better prices for a LiFePo4. $86.42 plus shipping. If you need a balanced charger I would suggest combing your purchase here for one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0645&aff=15144

Many options for batteries on this site.

Last edited by CR Yaker; 11-03-2013 at 10:50 AM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
LiFePo4 Advantages about 1/2 weight of SLA Battery constant voltage threw out discharge cycle, makes better finder readings Unlike SLA amp draw doesn't affect use able ah
Faster charge times If taken care of more than 20k charge/discharge cycles = a ton of fishing trips...
There you go.

The constant voltage throughout discharge cycle is a huge advantage. A SLAs voltage drops as it discharges, which means your finder has less and less voltage or power to run on the longer you run it on a SLA. First few hours they are fine but over time the performance starts to degrade.

LiFepo4 and NIMH batteries have constant discharge which means the voltage stays the same until they run out of power. Effectively this gives you about a third more functional hours for your fishifinder on the same amount of amp hours.

The reasons you list are the exact same reasons I went with a NIMH back in 2008. LiFePo4 sounds great but until I kill my current NIMH battery there is not much point in changing to anything else.

You got it right. Those are the advantages to the better batteries, and it is worth the extra cash if you take care of the batteries and keep them going for the long term.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
jorluivil

Yep, they are expensive but so are some reels, rods, fishing line, hooks, kayaks, etc. If quality wasn't an issue we'd all be fishing with the cheapest gear we could find.

Don't go cheap just because its cheap

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Here's one of the better prices for a LiFePo4. $86.42 plus shipping. If you need a balanced charger I would suggest combing your purchase here for one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0645&aff=15144

Many options for batteries on this site.
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if 8.4ah would be sufficient?
Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

I've been using lithium ion batteries since 09, been through 3 kayaks since then and on my fourth. Still on my original set, Batteries are still going strong. I did pay alot of money for them but i bought them just once and they power all my devices all day and some. Plus they are even lighter and smaller than the lifepo batteries... But the only drawback is you cannot get them wet, luckly i never have yet....

Alot of us have really powerful and expensive fishfinders. Why cheap out on the power source? Having that extra capacity in a smaller lighter package that will probably outlast your kayak is worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
There you go.

The constant voltage throughout discharge cycle is a huge advantage. A SLAs voltage drops as it discharges, which means your finder has less and less voltage or power to run on the longer you run it on a SLA. First few hours they are fine but over time the performance starts to degrade.

LiFepo4 and NIMH batteries have constant discharge which means the voltage stays the same until they run out of power. Effectively this gives you about a third more functional hours for your fishifinder on the same amount of amp hours.

The reasons you list are the exact same reasons I went with a NIMH back in 2008. LiFePo4 sounds great but until I kill my current NIMH battery there is not much point in changing to anything else.

You got it right. Those are the advantages to the better batteries, and it is worth the extra cash if you take care of the batteries and keep them going for the long term.
Exactly I would not upgrade your NiMH until they die, but if you take care of them except them to last about 500 charge/discharge cycles. That's many years of fishing for most of us. But if you look it on trips per year basis if someone goes fishing a couple times a year get a SLA but if your doing 2-3 or more trips a month spend the $ and get yourself a good battery especially if you have a nice expensive fish finder that requires more power. No use in crippling your HDS or whatnot with a low end battery
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
BrokeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Yep, there are expensive but so are some reels, rods, fishing line, hooks, kayaks, etc. If quality wasn't an issue we'd all be fishing with the cheapest gear we could find.

Don't go cheap just because its cheap
True.
Up until now the cheapest I found were $150 plus.
I definitely don't mind spending more for quality...especially for mechanical functionality...But there's not many things we opt to pay 600% more for that has no moving parts.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Thanks for the link.
I wonder if 8.4ah would be sufficient?
For a fish finder, no problem.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
IN2DEEP

This Hummingbird batt. on Amazon has very good reviews
Title says AGM, one reviewer says it's a gel cell batt.
Includes a chrger.
Under $40 at this time
http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-770...pr_product_top
IN2DEEP is offline   Reply With Quote