Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
octico

Any thoughts on Shimano TLD reel?

I am looking to get a new reel What do you guys think of the Shimano TLD 15 lever drag or the Shimano TLD 25 lever drag
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
kauaiboy04

i've also been looking at this reel, and am interested in other peoples opinions as well.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
PapaDave

I think they are purty...
Old 07-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I am looking to get a new reel What do you guys think of the Shimano TLD 15 lever drag or the Shimano TLD 25 lever drag
TLD's are great reels but they do not cast well. I like them for trolling, flylining live bait, and dropper loop fishing.

I got this tuna on a TLD5 with 30lbs spectra and a 30lbs fluorocarbon topshot (flylined Sardine)

This Yellow using a TLD15 65 spectra 40lbs fluoro (dropperloop Squid)

This Tshark using a TLD25 with straight 40lbs Mono (trolling bait/skirted jig)

Great reels!! Your results may vary
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
skrilla

TLD15... decent workhorse of a reel. I hotrodded mine with TLD30II belleville washers, Carbontex drags, and added a bearing sleeve since mine had a loss of freespool issue. I'm going to replace the factory handle with a bigger aftermarket one since the stock knobs are puny.

TLD25... another workhorse of a reel. Great for trolling. The graphite frame is the weakest link and some have broken off at the reel base from high drag pressures. There are Tiburon frames that will make these bulletproof.

Both reels are old designs before the superline era. For the money you can get a newer and better reel. Or with a little know how you can buy used and modify them to exceed their factory performance specs.

Hit up Alantani.com under the Shimano subforum. Great break down and review if these reels.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
TLD15... decent workhorse of a reel. I hotrodded mine with TLD30II belleville washers, Carbontex drags, and added a bearing sleeve since mine had a loss of freespool issue. I'm going to replace the factory handle with a bigger aftermarket one since the stock knobs are puny. TLD25... another workhorse of a reel. Great for trolling. The graphite frame is the weakest link and some have broken off at the reel base from high drag pressures. There are Tiburon frames that will make these bulletproof.
Watch putting too much torque on that TLD15 unless you upgrade the frame. I know people have broken their "graphite" frames baiting Marlin with them.

Your right on the TLD25. A friend borrowed mine and cracked the frame, but he was using eighty spectra on it for larger T sharks. Fortunately Shimono replaces them for free.

These reels are just not made for heavy braid, they are not like Avets or later aluminumed framed reels. I now run eighty spectra on the TLD25 with fifty topshots, and 65 spectra on the TLD15 with 40 top shots. On the larger two speeds I run eighty with 60 topshots, but only for big tuna and mine have Tib frames.

Run them with the right line and the reels are pretty indestructible I have several TLDs that I have owed for almost 20 years now with no issues whatsoever.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
FISH11

I have a TLD 15 that I've had for over 16 years and have never had any problems with it. It was my only saltwater reel when I started Kayak fishing. Out of all the reels I now have I still like the way the lever drag works the best, it it so easy to control and adjust. I would not have any problems purchasing another or larger size TLD. The only thing I hooked that I was not able to land (I don't think anything could) was a gray whale that took my flylined greenback on December 31, 2013 of La Jolla. Gave me a sleigh ride before I cut the 65 lb braided line.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
battleborn

have a few shimano lever drags and they are indeed work horses. The graphite can be the weak link but if fished within the design you will have a light reel with a beefy drag system. don't expect to be casting chovies with them. If you found a decent price on one i would go for it. Also shimano has a good support network so parts should not be a problem. Cheers
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
battleborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I have a TLD 15 that I've had for over 16 years and have never had any problems with it. It was my only saltwater reel when I started Kayak fishing. Out of all the reels I now have I still like the way the lever drag works the best, it it so easy to control and adjust. I would not have any problems purchasing another or larger size TLD. The only thing I hooked that I was not able to land (I don't think anything could) was a gray whale that took my flylined greenback on December 31, 2013 of La Jolla. Gave me a sleigh ride before I cut the 65 lb braided line.
Must have been a hell of a ride!
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote