Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
5-20

Malibu Yak Questions and BTB Gear for WSB/Tuna

Y'all I'm still relatively new to san diego, and I've never had the ocean mere minutes instead of hours away. I used to have a yak, a heritage redfish 12 that I used for freshwater fishing and "took" BTB once out in the Gulf of Mexico. I say "took" because I didn't paddle or stay out there very long. I didn't like the yak very much and sold it after a year and a half or so. However, one of my friends, Eric, took me out in San Diego bay recently. He let me use his Stealth 12 and wow, I couldn't believe how much better that yak felt in all of those different ways than the RF12 I had used to.

So, if you could bear with me while I list a bunch of questions that'd really help me get started on BTB fishing, that'd be awesome!

Yeah, I'm totally ready to start chasing some of those huge fish that live around those kelp beds!!!! I'm thinking I'd really like to get a Stealth 12, 14 or a X-Factor. Yes, I've read a ton about the leaking problems that's very common with those yaks.... and I'm pretty worried about getting one of those lemons, but still, those yaks are pretty awesome in a lot of other ways.

I've been scanning CL, trying to find a lightly used Stealth 14 or X-Factor and I came across a store in Newport Beach that has made a bunch of those posts that list "NEW" Malibu yaks at like close to 50% off. An example of one of those ads:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/4412921178.html

I called and asked about those yaks and got a very confrontative and rude person on the other line. When I asked how they were able to sell those yaks so cheap, he basically got really defensive and argumentative and never answered my question and basically said in a very challenging way "why are you asking???". I then asked if they were blems or anything like that and then he first said no, no, then said something like yeah... yeah... and then just hung up on me abruptly.

Not sure what the deal is with those guys or that shop. I'd love to buy a new stealth 12 or 14 at that price instead of the more typical $1,300 I understand they're usually listed for but I really don't wanna deal with those guys unless it was just some type of big misunderstanding..........

Any thoughts or suggestions about this would be good. I am gonna check OEX kayaks out at MB too for sure.

Okay!!! Next question's about gear. I'd like to get at least one "stout" rod and reel that i can use for WSB and Tuna and Sharks. The heaviest gear I have right now is basically a couple of Curado 300e's on swimbait rods and I'll probably use one of those setups for calicos, but I'd like something heavier that'd be a good start to my dedicated saltwater arsenal.

I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a Daiwa Sealine SL30SH which seems like it'd be a pretty good reel that can withstand the abuse it'd go through being on a yak. As much as I'd like to get a seeker or calstar, for now, I'm thinking an Ugly Stik Tiger would do the job pretty well. I picked up the 7' medium action rod in a store and it felt pretty "soft". I haven't handled the 7' MH model yet but I'm thinking it'd be a better choice?

Any suggestions about gear I may want to consider for any type of BTB fishing I'm likely to do around those kelp beds would be really welcome. Right now, I really like throwing lures. I'm not so much a live bait fisherman but I will probably get into that soon so I'd really like something I can throw jigs on that'd also handle live bait if needed and then later on start to get a bit more specialized gear.

Curious, would I even want to consider going with the Sealine 20 or is the 30 the right sized reel for what I want to use it for?

Thanks for all of the suggestions/advice. I'm really looking forward to meeting and fishing with you guys sometime!!!

I also got into surfing, so if that's something any of you do, holla about that anytime too!!!

5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

What's the story behind your username, just curious?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

I live right by that shop in Newport and here is the deal with them. They are a rental buisness that buys blems in bulk so they can replace old inventory and they sell them off. They are very rude and you are not getting any guarantee of quality with them. Oex is the shop that makes this site happen. They are a Malibu retailer and top notch customer service. They do blems sakes and sometimes used kayaks as well.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
WSA-Bob
Junior

First rule on buying a used kayak, paddle before you buy without exception.

Second Rule - All kayaks leak a bit, especially if they have hatches.

Third rule - find a good plastics Tech and use him.

I buy and sell kayaks as a avocation and find that some naturally leak more than others, if I locate the leak the YAK goes right to OEX on Mission bay San Diego, not to mention for equipment they will have what you need.

BTW when I sell I ask the people to paddle what they are buying.

Good luck
WSA-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
OEX Sunset Beach

Ya that place is the source of much aggravation for me. I have complained to Malibu Kayaks about them.
OEX Sunset Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #6
5-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
What's the story behind your username, just curious?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
Haha, well, I've fished for bass 98% of the time throughout my life probably, and anytime you can bring in 5 fish for 20 pounds or better in a tourney, you've usually had a pretty good day. Well, that was when I lived in Virginia and when I moved to Texas, well, the standard there's a little different. A good day's more like 5 for 30 or better. But that's basically the premise behind my username and how I've been a bass nut ever since I was a little kid.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
5-20

Btw, this is my first San Diego fish!!! Wacked that corvina and then lost another one a little bigger than the one pictured. Both hit a jerkbait. Then I had a Sculpin gobble up a 4" big hammer. That fish turned out to be totally delicious!!!! My buddy had a couple of halibut that were too small to keep and a couple of small bass.

[/URL]
Old 05-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Awesome!

Welcome to BWE and San Diego!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
FISH11

Go to OEX they'll be glad to help you in getting a Kayak. They carry quite a few brands. They have Blems from Malibu that would save you a bunch. They cost about 60% of no-blems. New is best for a Kayak or get one less than 2 years old. The posts where there are hatches leaking are usually when going out in the surf a taking waves over the bow. On older kayaks the decks slightly warp (from constant exposure to the sun and riders weight) and the hatch lids don't seal well due to the warping. Most are an easy fix and there lot of post on how to fix. The easiest is some very inexpensive stick on narrow window seal (1/4 or 3/8 inch width) that you just apply around the inside edge of the lid where the original seal contacts the lid. That only takes like 2 minutes per lid and then you just replace that foam seal at the start of the season. It really is not a big deal for the convinience of having large access hatches. Good Luck
Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Malibu x factor

I'm new myself, and I did a ton of research and decided that I wanted the x factor. I found some at that place in Newport, and what you see is NOT what they have. I saw a nice tan yak on CL, then went in. Talked to some Arabic guy, he seemed clueless, then proceeded to try and sell me some beat to hell bright orange x factor. I then went to OEX, and got the basic package, and they installed the fishfinder and live well. After taxes, came out to about $1600. It's kind of big but has a ton of space and can hold 625 lbs. I love it so far.

I also just got a daiwa sealine, size 20. I wanted something light to cast a lot with irons when I start to fish yellowtail, and matched it up with a daiwa rod 8'. Reel was $135 I think, and rod was $100. Got it at The Long fin. They helped me pick that setup. I would have gotten a nicer rod like a cal star, or seeker but wasn't in the budget that day.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Fishin' Magician

Go to OEX for Malibu products. I've had Andy at the Sunset Beach store help me out with a few things and they're really great to work with. I went to the PB store just the other day for the first time and it was pretty well stocked with just about anything that you'd need. Stay with the reputable companies and forget the fly by night places. Cheaper isn't always better...., especially if you're out in the middle of the bay and starting to take on water!

Here fishy, fishy, fishy..... Heroes on the Water, in it to win it!
Fishin' Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
5-20

Thanks everyone for all of the tips!!! Went to OEX MB earlier today and seems like I can get a Stealth 12 or XFactor for the same price or a Stealth 14 for $300 more. I'm going to set a time to demo the 14 and xfactor and see how much I like them!

And yes, I've had a few different boats and every time I looked for one, the most important question I'd ask myself would be what kind of water I'd use it in and how well I felt I could rely on the rig getting me back to the launch every single time. I've always bought a smaller and essentially more reliable boat than a bigger, faster, and possibly "more fun" model. Getting stuck out on the water when you fish alone a lot isn't fun!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
Fishin' Magician

I've had my Stealth 12 for 2 years now that I bought off of some guy on CL and I've not had any problems with it at all. It's a good stable boat. It may not be as sleek nor as fast as some of the other kayak models out there, but I'm not doing this for speed necessarily, I just want to be safe and somewhat comfortable while fishing the bays. Haven't tried a surf launch with it yet, but hopefully sometime this summer I'll give it a try. But even in somewhat rough conditions, I don't get much water in the hatches. But it's an older model, so maybe it was built a little better back then(?).

Good luck!
Fishin' Magician is offline   Reply With Quote