Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Fly fishing

General question, what fly line set up would you use to target fish feeding from 10-40 feet deep on your fly rod? Mostly Sea of Cortez in warm water. Recomendations? Thanks guys. 8-10 wt rods and reels.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Hey Bob, what species do you think you'll encounter? The rod will depend on what kind of fish you'll find. I like a 10 wt. for pulling power on .
10-40' you could use anything from an intermediate to 130-150 gr. sinking head fly lines or t-8 tungsten shooting heads (see Facebook "the Calico Syndicate") attached to a sinking running line or mono type running line.
Personally I like shooting heads so that I can change depths fast without carrying multiple rods (though I do love my gear!) or extra spools.
Hope this helps some.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Here is the deal, fishing my place in Gonzaga bay. Most of these fish are in 10-40 feet of water and seem to FEED at the 10-25 foot level, sometimes deeper. Species found and caught here are WSB over 50lbs, YT over 40, cabrilla and leopard grouper over 20, snapper, trigger fish, barracuda, halibut, jacks, sierra, pompano, bass, reports of dorado and roosterfish too. This is warm water so tropical lines are needed. Fishing the kayaks usually within 75 yards of the beach, over rocky, rubble reefs. Thanks for any recomendations.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
battleborn

definitely sounds like an opportunity to land an extraordinary fish on a flyrod.
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Here is the deal, fishing my place in Gonzaga bay. Most of these fish are in 10-40 feet of water and seem to FEED at the 10-25 foot level, sometimes deeper. Species found and caught here are WSB over 50lbs, YT over 40, cabrilla and leopard grouper over 20, snapper, trigger fish, barracuda, halibut, jacks, sierra, pompano, bass, reports of dorado and roosterfish too. This is warm water so tropical lines are needed. Fishing the kayaks usually within 75 yards of the beach, over rocky, rubble reefs. Thanks for any recomendations.
OK Bob, here's what I'd bring...for under 25#, Scooters, Butts, Dodo's, most snappers, Cabrilla, Pompanos almost any 8 wt. would suffice (my Scott Heli-ply or Sage XP-SW, RPLXi). For Calicos in thicker Kelp and larger and would necessitate a stiffer (Loomis type) 8wt. rod or 10 wt. (preferably 10 wts....again my Scott Heli-ply or Sage RPLXi, Xi-3) just in case of grouper, Roosterfish, Larger & . (Roosters I've caught in the surf on a 10 wt.)
If I were to start losing or running into larger specimens (30#+ , , grouper, Roosterfish) I pull out my big guns (12's & 15 wts).
As for lines, I'd bring a floating Saltwater for surface poppers, 3 intermediate lines (in case 1-2 gets damaged on the rocks) all my shooting heads T-8 -- T-20 with extra spools of running line (faster sinking/cheaper to use/replace when damaged, easier/faster to change line weights to fish different depths, currents) although harder to cast.
Hey and don't forget with the waters this warm where exotics are being caught up to Oxnard now(!)...Baja in Oct.might provide you with a chance @ tuna within paddling/pedaling distance! (carry extra backing and line!).
This is what I own and would bring and just my opinion. Others might have different opinions.
I hope this is of some help.
FFY.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
OK Bob, here's what I'd bring...for under 25#, Scooters, Butts, Dodo's, most snappers, Cabrilla, Pompanos almost any 8 wt. would suffice (my Scott Heli-ply or Sage XP-SW, RPLXi). For Calicos in thicker Kelp and larger and would necessitate a stiffer (Loomis type) 8wt. rod or 10 wt. (preferably 10 wts....again my Scott Heli-ply or Sage RPLXi, Xi-3) just in case of grouper, Roosterfish, Larger & . (Roosters I've caught in the surf on a 10 wt.)
If I were to start losing or running into larger specimens (30#+ , , grouper, Roosterfish) I pull out my big guns (12's & 15 wts).
As for lines, I'd bring a floating Saltwater for surface poppers, 3 intermediate lines (in case 1-2 gets damaged on the rocks) all my shooting heads T-8 -- T-20 with extra spools of running line (faster sinking/cheaper to use/replace when damaged, easier/faster to change line weights to fish different depths, currents) although harder to cast.
Hey and don't forget with the waters this warm where exotics are being caught up to Oxnard now(!)...Baja in Oct.might provide you with a chance @ tuna within paddling/pedaling distance! (carry extra backing and line!).
This is what I own and would bring and just my opinion. Others might have different opinions.
I hope this is of some help.
FFY.
Tuna and sailfish were around there for the last El Nino, but I really would not want to chase them. Robert, any suggestions on running lines? And thank you for your help.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
FlyFishinYakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Tuna and sailfish were around there for the last El Nino, but I really would not want to chase them. Robert, any suggestions on running lines? And thank you for your help.
Fly lines or Running Lines are personal preference (just like everything else "Fly") and depend on what/where I'm fishing.
I like shooting head systems (have you noticed the price of fly lines lately? ) because if you run a fly line up against some heavy kelp or get "rocked" the line could/probably be compromised ! Carrying/replacing extra lines can be expensive and time consuming and you pretty much have to return to shore to fix/replace.
I like RIO intermediate (clear horizon) running lines for my sinking shooting heads in clear shallow water (regular intermediate lines feel much like regular fly lines). I also use (bulk boxes of) "Amnesia" Shooting lines (20-40#) for my 8 and lighter 10 wts. I also have RIO Slick Shooter (40-50#) lines for my heavy 10 wts. then I also have "Frog's Hair" shooting lines because they are the only Co. that makes a 68# running line for my 12wts. I tie the 450+ yards of 80# Spectra (actually I use Spectra as backing on ALL my reels) straight to my shooting head (15wt).
(TIP: make 'SURE' to wear fishing gloves or gauze tape or both for running lines and/or backing as they can cut just like regular mono or a knife and can burn Very seriously ruining your fishing trip/experience!)
Happy to contribute.
Hope this is helpful.
FFY.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Guy's, thank you for the replys. Helped a lot.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN