Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
ctfphoto

To those NEW to La Jolla, you can not fish in the Preserve

As I was coming yesterday I saw two guys fishing in the preserve very close to the launch ......

I very politely told them that they were fishing in a ecological preserve and it is illegal to fish there. I told to go past the white buoy and to line up the flagpole with the palm tree and they were good to go.

I also told them that the really big fish where farther out anyway and had just seen a 30 pound plus YT caught about 3 miles out.

I do not blame them as they did not know about the preserve. I guess they could have researched it, but hey we all learn something new everyday, its all good.

Another thing (My baad as I am guilty of as the lifeguard told me) is please do not drive fast on the beach. One mistake and the place get closed down, that's what the lifeguard told me anyway.

This is the most awesome place to fish and lets keep it that way
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Dannowar

Cool dude. Good job.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #3
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

I'm jonesin to get back down there. Good job on giving them a heads up. I'd hate to see fellow fishermen get a dang ticket
Old 03-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
jorluivil

Good advice for anyone that has never fished LJ

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Does anyone have a picture of the flagpole lining up with the tree? I think it would help a lot of visual learners see what you are talking about. My advice to anyone is who is unsure where they can start fishing, is to mark a spot on your GPS next time out. Hopefully someone here has a picture of the lineup.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Goose1993

Yaa good thing you got to them before DFG. That would be a fat ticket and would be really unfortunate for them because they didn't know it was illegal to fish there.
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
FISH11

This is a picture of the marking for the border as had been posted on BWE in the past. I saved it for all of these re-post for all those that are new. Tight Lines Flag pole to the corner of the building, straight down to the palm tree between the bungalows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150126157.jpg (158.6 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
As I was coming yesterday I saw two guys fishing in the preserve very close to the launch ......

I very politely told them that they were fishing in a ecological preserve and it is illegal to fish there. I told to go past the white buoy and to line up the flagpole with the palm tree and they were good to go.

I also told them that the really big fish where farther out anyway and had just seen a 30 pound plus YT caught about 3 miles out.

I do not blame them as they did not know about the preserve. I guess they could have researched it, but hey we all learn something new everyday, its all good.

Another thing (My baad as I am guilty of as the lifeguard told me) is please do not drive fast on the beach. One mistake and the place get closed down, that's what the lifeguard told me anyway.

This is the most awesome place to fish and lets keep it that way
Good on you for looking out, however I am of the mind set that you don't fish where you don't know the rules. I even heard the DFG say that yesterday at the Fred Hall show. As for the driving fast on the beach, I was yelled at once to slow down, I wasn't driving a car with 4 wheel drive and I wasn't going fast, I was just keeping my car going so I wouldn't get stuck. It really depends on who's standing there watching. I've launched there enough to know what's safe and for that lady to tell me to slow down, she clearly didn't know what she was doing.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #9
Goose1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Good on you for looking out, however I am of the mind set that you don't fish where you don't know the rules. I even heard the DFG say that yesterday at the Fred Hall show. As for the driving fast on the beach, I was yelled at once to slow down, I wasn't driving a car with 4 wheel drive and I wasn't going fast, I was just keeping my car going so I wouldn't get stuck. It really depends on who's standing there watching. I've launched there enough to know what's safe and for that lady to tell me to slow down, she clearly didn't know what she was doing.
Some people just think they know it all and want someone to ***** at haha.

Last edited by Goose1993; 03-29-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #10
Goose1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
And I agree with you about not fishing if you don't know the laws of the area. It's best to be safe than get a four diget ticket haha.

But I think it's different for us who fish a lot (and know about the regulations) and those who are bored one day and decide to give fishing a try. Most people see fishing as a relaxing day on the water and wouldn't even think twice about the crazy amount of regulations.

Imagine this, you want to try mountain biking with your kids one day. You take out your bikes and helmets, find a trail, and go ride. There's no signs that say no tresspassing or no biking, yet you get a $1000 misdemeanor ticket for riding in a "state trail conservation area". Even there's no signs saying that you're in a "state trail conservation area". When you tell the bike warden that you had no idea what a STCA was, he says it doesn't matter and you should have looked up the mountain biking regulations before you went. A relaxing day with your kids turns into getting in trouble with the law.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in following the law but I think that getting in trouble and not knowing what they are doing is pretty ridicolous. Yes they should have looked up the law before they went, but we all know that in reality, it will never cross most people's minds that they are breaking the law.