Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

July Update

I haven't posted much in the last 6 weeks mainly because with the exotic fishing happening in Southern California, my yellowtail reports seem like real yawners. The month of July was a simply outrageous month for yellowtail fishing down here in Bahia Asuncion. I caught a total of 56 yellowtail in the month. I always use the disclaimer that I don't count rats of less than 15 lbs but there were simply no rats to be had during July. No real tankers either. Everything in the 15 to 35 pound range.
The only disclaimer I will put on the month is that I fished a bit more than usual since Bob and Sven were down here for a week or so and they pushed me into fishing for several days in a row when I usually fish 3 or 4 times a week.
It was so great to have visitors in July. We had excellent fishing while Bob and Sven were here and the winds that normally push you off the water by noon, we're nice enough to stay calm til 1 or 2 in the afternoon on several days. The guys brought down some much needed supplies for me including fishing, household and food supplies. Thank you very much for that! Can't tell you how nice it is to have some nice cuts of beef in the freezer.
As for August, it is starting out good too. I was out on Monday and only managed one yellow on the first cast of the day and then 3 1/2 hours of nothing. I stopped on a high spot on the way in that was loaded with swarms of big chunky calicos and managed to land 43 fish on 43 consecutive drops with the Megabait. Then I hooked into something really big which ultimately rocked me. Would have liked to have seen that one.
Out again on Wednesday and the zone appeared void of life and I figured it would be another down day but I started metering fish in deeper water and ended up landing 9 nice yellows. One noteworthy moment came when I was fighting one of the yellows and a couple of YFT blew up on some bait about 50 yards away from me. No sign of them after I landed my fish but certainly hope for the future.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
carbonbass

a 30+ isn't a real tanker? wtG!
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Deamon

I'm coming Rossman...I'm coming. And I'm parking my ass on your property the entire week. Forget that exploring stuff my friend M-Bob is talking about. And I'll bring some beef too. Thanksgiving week can't come soon enough!!! Love your posts. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 AM   #4
taggermike

YT are awesome sports fish, but after 50 it might be time to target other species. Halis, white sea bass, corvina on the inside, or use a 3 lb calico bass for bait for a black sea bass. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Real yawners...

Rossman you've caught so many yellows at this point, have you ever fallen asleep while fighting one yet?

Would be nice to come down and visit you for a week...but that's gonna be tough...but you never know...
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I'm coming Rossman...I'm coming. And I'm parking my ass on your property the entire week. Forget that exploring stuff my friend M-Bob is talking about. And I'll bring some beef too. Thanksgiving week can't come soon enough!!! Love your posts. Jim

Fantastic Jim. The locals tell me that the fall months are the best for fishing down here but I cannot imagine a better month than I had in July. Certainly more exotics around like tuna wahoo and dodos and most of the 50 lb + yellows are caught in the fall.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 08-07-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
DanaPT

Rossman... you lucky dog!
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Real yawners...

Rossman you've caught so many yellows at this point, have you ever fallen asleep while fighting one yet?

Would be nice to come down and visit you for a week...but that's gonna be tough...but you never know...
Not so much sleeping while fighting a fish but certainly asleep at the switch. On a few ocaisions I have thrown my jig out and paused to have a drink or bite a candy bar while it sinks to the bottom only to have it hit on the sink causing an instant birds nest.
— Herman Melville

Old 08-07-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
anchovie

Simply awesome!!!!!!
anchovie is offline   Reply With Quote