Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Lobster Fishery Management Plan...

Here is the latest info from the DFW on the Lobster FMP...

The Department is pleased to announce that a Draft CA Lobster FMP will be delivered to the Commission at Its December meeting.

At the Fish and Game Commission (Commission) meeting in San Diego on December 9th, the Department of Fish and Wildlife (Department) will be delivering the revised Draft CA Lobster FMP to the Commission, which will start the public comment period on the document. During the meeting, the Department will present an overview of the Draft FMP and discuss next steps. There will be an opportunity for public comment at the meeting. The Draft FMP will be posted to the Commission web site as part of the meeting materials, probably around December 2nd. The Department will not be presenting information on proposed regulations at this meeting. The start of the regulatory process for the FMP’s implementing regulations is currently scheduled for the Commission’s February 2016 meeting.

Below is a link to the December Commission meeting agenda http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2015/...8102015agd.pdf

Current Commission Process Timeline for the FMP and Regulatory Package
· December: Deliver the Draft FMP to the Commission starting the public comment period.

· February: Discussion hearing for the Draft FMP and request to go to notice with the proposed regulations starting the 45-day comment period on the regulations.

· April: Possible adoption of the FMP and discussion hearing for the proposed regulations.

· June: Possible adoption of the regulations.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Hunters Pa

Thanks, Jim.

Any previews on what to expect?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
momo fish

Thanks For the info Jim..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #4
Phishphood

Thanks for the info
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

What to expect...

The below information is current as of 09/23/2015

Regulatory process and opportunities for public comment currently scheduled to start in 2016. Adopted regulations would not go into effect until the 2017/18 lobster season

SHAWN...HERE'S WHAT TO EXPECT...

Summary of draft proposed changes to recreational lobster regulations
Require the hole-punching or fin-clipping of all retained lobsters. Proposed by the LAC to reduce illegal commercialization of sport caught lobsters.

Change recreational season opener from 12:01 am to 6 a.m. on Saturday. Proposed by the LAC to increase safety during the season opener.

Require hoop net operators to mark hoop net floats with GO-ID (fishing license) numbers. Proposed by the LAC to allow enforcement to easily identify the owner of a hoop net.

Clarify that spear gear may be possessed by divers while targeting or in possession of lobsters so long as the gear is not used in the taking of lobster.

CA Spiny Lobster Fishery Management Plan timeline
December 9-10, 2015 Commission meeting in San Diego: Department to submit a Draft CA Spiny Lobster Fishery Management Plan, starting the public comment period.
Additional opportunities for public comment and possible adoption of the FMP in 2016
For more information and to sign up for the lobster FMP news service, please visit the Department’s lobster FMP webpage (http://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservat...ne/Lobster-FMP).

Additional items to highlight:
The Department of Fish and Wildlife recommends report card holders submit their cards online at the end of the season (April 30th due date) rather than mailing them in. The online reporting web address is on the lobster report card.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
ctfphoto

The time change will make it way, way less safe as ALL the traffic will be on Sat night, instead of splitting up into two nights.

Very Unsafe to move to a 6 Am opener.

It would make Sat night insane!!!!!!!!!!!!
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Wardens

The wardens were the ones doing the biggest push to have the opener moved during the Lobster Advisory Committee meetings.
It made sense to me...no more dumb questions..."can I set my nets before midnight to reserve my spot?"...No more drunks waiting for the stroke of Midnight...no burned out wardens.
The midnight opener is very problamatic on many fronts for the wardens. The LAC wanted to make it safer by having the opener during daylight hours.
The darn season is 6 phookin months long...! I didn't start hooping until the third week of the season and I've been killing it...I'm well stocked for the relatives at Thanksgiving...I don't get the frenzy on the opener...!
The LAC had over two years of meetings and it had industry reps and a high ranking warden as well as DFW, Ecos, Hoopers, Divers, and Science types on the committee...trust me...we talked about this issue for many hours.
If you really think the 'time change' is a bad idea, then you should speak-up at the Commission meeting in December in San Diego. Public comment is always welcome.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
ctfphoto

As to the time change ...

I go out at midnight friday for sat AM opener and not on Sat Night. Change the rule and double the traffic on saturday night. Boat accidents, fights, etc ....

I don't get the drunk issue as I don't drink that late because I would get tired plus the drive home at early hours. Now, Start at sunset and start drinking.

As to the frenzy ...

Yes I agree it is out of control, I do not get it, people treat lobster like gold, take shorts, get in fights, die ....

I like going on the opener because I usually get limits. I don't have season long go to spots yet as you do.

I doubt I have time for the meeting nor would they listen to a citizen over the man.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote