Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana Pt this Friday, 12-4-15

Since I'll most likely be on the beach on Sat for Steve's shoot out, I figured I do some scouting on Fri is anyone wants to join me. Launching at the ramp at about 6:30am. Not sure where I'll fish as it depends on what the wind is doing that morning.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Since I'll most likely be on the beach on Sat for Steve's shoot out, I figured I do some scouting on Fri is anyone wants to join me. Launching at the ramp at about 6:30am. Not sure where I'll fish as it depends on what the wind is doing that morning.
Ed, I'll keep an eye on the weather and join you if it looks okay.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Yeah, should know by Wed or thur what it will be like and where i'll be fishing.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Dave Legacy

I'll be out there bright and early, with a couple friends, in a stone gray Malibu Pro 2 Tandem w/yellow paddle blades....

Freezing my ass off.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #5
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I'll be out there bright and early, with a couple friends, in a stone gray Malibu Pro 2 Tandem w/yellow paddle blades....

Freezing my ass off.
I would like to see your yak as I'm looking to buy a tandem, and the Malibu looks like the ticket but I haven't seen one in person. Maybe I will get down there in the morning. Where are you launching from?
Old 12-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Yeah, it'll be cold. I'll make the call in the morning as my stomach is jacked up. Assuming I make it I'll be on a urban camo t13.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Harry, just looked at the weather report. Winds are forecasted to be low, no rain.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Harry, just looked at the weather report. Winds are forecasted to be low, no rain.
where is the launch?
Old 12-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I would like to see your yak as I'm looking to buy a tandem, and the Malibu looks like the ticket but I haven't seen one in person. Maybe I will get down there in the morning. Where are you launching from?
I'm launching from "Baby Beach" with a couple buddies, but you'd get a better look in the daylight. I'll be around at least until noon I'd think. Will have my VHF on me too and I'll monitor channels 68-72. It's a small place, so I'm sure I'll find you.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Amish Ed

Sorry Harry, but I just got this. Didn't end up going, woke up to stomach cramps.

There's 2 main launch areas, both are off of Dana Point Harbor Drive...
1) The launch ramp is $10 and is a short paddle from the harbor entrance. Take PCH to Dana Pt Harbor Dr. and go left. Turn left on Embarcadero Place and you'll find the gate, bring either 2 $5 bills or a $10. It probably takes ones also, but it would take a while to feed the machine.

2) Baby Beach is free, but a much longer paddle to the entrance. This is located near the end of Dana Point Harbor Dr. If you pass the little pier you went too far.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #11
Harry Hill

Thanks Ed, get better for tomorrow. I also go some instructions from Dave Legacy on where to launch so I think when I make it down there I can find it. I'm glad you told me about the $10 charge, I would probably have 20's in my wallet and be locked out. Laura wants to go to Silverwood tomorrow to try for stripers so it looks like I'm fishing fresh water this weekend. Good luck with the shootout tomorrow. Tell Steve I said hello.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
Dave Legacy

That explains why I didn't see you guys out there today. I was starting to feel badly that maybe I wasn't attentive enough to the radio and missed you. Harry, I'll report to you that today was my first solo outing in my P2T and I must say my posterior is quite fatigued and my lumbar area if my back suffered a great deal. This is something I'm not prone to and don't experience when sitting in the typical tandem seating which is more ergonomically sculpted. That said it performed well! Paddle one solo before you commit to buying one.

See y'all next time around.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
That explains why I didn't see you guys out there today. I was starting to feel badly that maybe I wasn't attentive enough to the radio and missed you. Harry, I'll report to you that today was my first solo outing in my P2T and I must say my posterior is quite fatigued and my lumbar area if my back suffered a great deal. This is something I'm not prone to and don't experience when sitting in the typical tandem seating which is more ergonomically sculpted. That said it performed well! Paddle one solo before you commit to buying one.

See y'all next time around.
Thanks Dave, I don't have a VHF radio yet so I am hesitant on going out by myself. Hopefully I'll get one soon. I will go to OEX Mission and try one out. I will be fishing by myself at least half of the time so I need a boat that can go both ways. The best thing about this Ascend boat is the seat, it is comfortable, the worse thing about it, is that it paddles like a barge but at least my back doesn't hurt while I'm not going anywhere fast. Do you fish Dana often? If so maybe we can get together, I like meeting other fisherman and find out what they are doing different than me.

Tomorrow the missus and I are going to Silverwood, when we were up there in October the lake was way down so I'm hoping it's not like that tomorrow, but I'm afraid it is, I think they have it pulled down in preparation for El Nino. Maybe pick up some stripers though, with the cold they should be coming up to feed.