Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Sherm

The big bay after work 3-18

I finally met up with my wingman for a afternoon of fishing. He finally ran out of excuses not to go. Just messin with ya bro.....I know how bad you needed to get on the water. You definately nutted up this time. Your son is in the hospital and you still made it fishing. It is a good thing the kid is a fisherman and insisted on you going.

We started the day at 4pm when we hit the water from the SI ramp. The tide was coming in strong and the wind was blowing the same direction at about 10 miles per hour. This made for a really fast drift. However, we figured out the drift and started to catch sand bass at a pretty good clip. most of these fish were big boys running in the 16 to 18 inch range. There were a lot of big models in the hole we were fishing. I was broken off on the 8lb test four times and I think Jim had it happen to him twice. I wish I could have landed a couple of those fish. They were great pullers before the line broke with numerous drag pulling runs.

Jim wanted to look for other species so we headed to our second spot. There was no love there. I only got one small sandie and one small spottie. Jim was busy pulling in several hundred yards of mono that he had tanglers up with. It looked like someone just emptied their spool in the bay. The amount of line definately would have filled a reel.

We rode the tide from our second spot to our first spot again. Caught several spotties on the way and then got back to catching the large turdrollers. Every cast at the spot was another large sandbass.

The wind kept dieing as the day progressed. However, the tide was still strong and the fish were still biting. Jim managed a double at one point and I broke off another fish that was large. I could keep his head up but not gain any ground on the fish. I gave him his head a little too much and the fish took off like a bat out of hell. Unfortunately, the line broke during his second run and it was over. I would have liked to have seen that fish.

We were off the water as the sun set. All in all it was a great day on the water with the wingman. Great fishing, great weather, and a good cigar made for a very enjoyable trip.

Fish Count:

12 sandies
6 spotties
no hali's

all C&Red

Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
dorf

Cool Report and pics.
I know that big ship! My buddy Alex was almost run over by it.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Dave I.

Nice fish, I am going to make a Shelter Island Launch my next trip.

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Cool Report and pics.
I know that big ship! My buddy Alex was almost run over by it.
If you look close you can see a sailboat and a small motor boat running next to the cruise ship. Makes you realize how big those things are.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
lamb

Nice