Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
Fiskadoro

Castiac Wednesday

Decided to stay closer to home and fished the x-13 at Castiac Wednesday from opening to closing.

Kind of a weird hazy day, light wind from the South all day but nice on the water.

Metered some suspended fish in deep water and worked them off an on for most of the afternoon. Managed one small stripe on a BBZ-1.

Only bite I had all day only fish I saw caught all day.

Had the place to myself for most of the day, but towards the late afternoon several nice rigs showed up and started fishing around me. Turns out one of them was a local guide with guys from some fishing show. The Other guy was a guide as well, pre-fishing a WON charter.

Neither had landed anything but I heard the first boat with the cameras picked up one fish about seven pounds. They seemed surprised I was out there on a yak, and they were even more surprised I had a fish. Guess they don't see many kayaks there.

Since I figured they knew what they were doing and that if they were there that obviously I was on the right spot: I decided to stay as late as they did, hoping they might go off just before dark.

Almost cost me. I just got out before the wrote tickets, and I did not even tie the Yak down .

When stopped on the hill to tie everything down the lighting was very weird because of the haze, The sun was down but it was still kind of milky white, so I shot this pic of the dam in the twilight.

All an all nothing spectacular but a good time on the water. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting the place dialed in, It's probably just a matter of time before I get into some quality fish there.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
mtnbykr2

Great job on the lineside, I spent all of January there for nada...let me know when you are headed out there again, I would love to get into some of those on the yak. I got close and thought I had em but never made any stick, it's supposed to get better around September...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Tickets for parking? Is there a time limit or something?
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydiego View Post
Tickets for parking? Is there a time limit or something?
The lake closes at a set time every day, it's a state recreation area, and only open from sunrise to sunset, Which means the hours change during the year. Wednesday it was open from 7:00 to 7:00.

They will ticket you if you are there in the lot after hours. I was the second to the last vehicle out. A police car had just shown up, and it literally followed us up the road till we got to the gate, and out of the park. There were twenty or more cars at the ramp at 6:50, but it was empty at 7:00, I get the feeling they do not give any leeway.

To me it's whacked since I grew up in Texas where lakes are open 24-7, but that's just the way it is here, and you learn to live with it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Dan

looks like a peaceful place to paddle.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Maybe the parking deal is to keep the partying teens out. Bummer for everyone else.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote