Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
ctrujillo

corona del mar-newport

has anybody fished kelp at corona del mar just outside of newport harbor?ive fished it before but paddled out of harbor and was thinking to launch at beach at corona del mar.
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

hate paying for parking, i have always paddled out from the harbor.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #3
ctrujillo

fished it in summer way to many beach goers to launch there.im a newbie and thougt the beach launch would be good practice.was there this afternoon to check it out and looked preety mild.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Gino

lots of bass there, Ive done well on other species north of the harbor mouth.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
ctrujillo

think i will give it a shot tommorow.want to hit up la jolla but little sketched about launching.never beach launched before but jonesing to fish big time.got to get out
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrujillo View Post
think i will give it a shot tommorow.want to hit up la jolla but little sketched about launching.never beach launched before but jonesing to fish big time.got to get out
Don't stress about practicing for LJ. Just go give it a whirl on a day with little swell and you'll see its no big deal.

I've fished those kelp beds. Not worth the hassle of dealing with the del mar crowd to launch there. Park at the coast guard station and launch there. Its free and on the way out to the kelp you can buy bait at the barge. I used to get bait for $5 all day ("free refills") but I'm sure that's changed. Bounce bait anywhere around there and you can find some flatties.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
ctrujillo

were and how can i get to life gaurd station?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
Aaron

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...10321&t=h&z=17

click on that and look in the upper left corner. You'll see a sandy area and if you scroll northwest, you'll see it, its labeled as "County of Orange harbor control". Its right off bayside drive. I was trying to center it in the map but for some reason it wasn't working in google maps. The main lot is small, maybe 10 parking spaces but midweek I never had a problem parking there. If the lot is full, you used to be able to park on the street, but things are always changing with parking in the OC. You launch off of that sandy area which is adjacent to the parking lot. There is a hose there too for washing your boat down when you are done as well as free hot showers. Its pretty ideal.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Lets_Fish

Found this information about the Coast Guard launch site. I'm not sure as to its complete accuracy, but suggest checking it out before launching during those dates. Also the last time I drove by, Bay Shore Drive was only one way due to construction (had to enter from Jamboree).

http://www.ckf.org/putins/putin_details.asp?putinid=4

If you cannot launch @ the station, you can launch from J Street on the peninsula. No bathrooms or shower or even a parking lot (street parking only). You have to go down about 3 wooden steps to get onto the beach or into the water depending on the tide.

You can also launch at the beach just before Serrano Avenue on East Balboa Blvd. (the beach with the small pier), but there may be some restrictions there also.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
dorado123

good info.....
I'll try later next week too
Thanks
dorado123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapdawg711 View Post
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...10321&t=h&z=17

click on that and look in the upper left corner. You'll see a sandy area and if you scroll northwest, you'll see it, its labeled as "County of Orange harbor control". Its right off bayside drive. I was trying to center it in the map but for some reason it wasn't working in google maps. The main lot is small, maybe 10 parking spaces but midweek I never had a problem parking there. If the lot is full, you used to be able to park on the street, but things are always changing with parking in the OC. You launch off of that sandy area which is adjacent to the parking lot. There is a hose there too for washing your boat down when you are done as well as free hot showers. Its pretty ideal.
Parking's a bitch (sewer piping repair and the streets are all goat ^%$# up). So get there early. You should have no problems on a week day. From the Coast Guard/Sheriff's station, its an easy paddle or peddle to the kelp.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote