Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Regor
Greg

Hoopin & Fishing 1/23/11

Finally got the Revo rigged up for hoopin, and decided to head out to an area that I knew well, was close to home, and was not near the surf or traffic. Granted, that meant the odds of any bugs being there was slim, but my first time out was more of a way to work out the kinks in the yak, my gear, and the process.

The hoops went out near sunset, with my lit buoys working out real good. A little disappointed with the reflective tape I installed, gonna have to get some DOT tape instead.

After my hoops went in, time to kick back for a while as the water calmed down, eat a burrito, and throw the line in for some evening bass (all pretty small).

All in all a nice night, even though I didn't bring anything home with me. But now I'm ready to head out into some waters that may be more productive !

Greg
Attached Images

Last edited by Regor; 01-24-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
BT

Glad to see you got out Greg. Keep at it! Gonna try and get out this week.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

Rack

Good Going Greg...Time to go get some legals.
I noticed youur PVC rack for your nets has caps on the top of the posts. I find that the caps get hung up on the netting of the hoop nets, so when I make my racks I leave the caps off the top of the upright posts and just drill a few holes in the lower pieces of PVC to let any trapped water out.
Good Luck
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Regor
Greg

Thanks Brian for the nets and Jim for the advice.

I only took a few nets out, and all PVC is pressed together without glue to allow for modifications. I already noticed that I will be lowering the PVC to rest on the yak to add some stability. Thinking some of the felt pads from Home depot will save the yak from the rubbing.

I also noticed that it does not take a lot for the yak to be off-kiltered when you add up the weight of the nets, so centering of the rack/nets is important
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Saba Slayer

Crutch tips

Instead of felt pads, try crutch tips. They're rubber slip on pads like you see on the end of a pair of crutches or on the end of some fishing poles. They come in various sizes and they fit the PVC tightly.
Jim / Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
I also noticed that it does not take a lot for the yak to be off-kiltered when you add up the weight of the nets, so centering of the rack/nets is important
Thats why I just lay them on top of the bait tank paddling out. Dont know how wide your new Hobie is, but with the xfactor I have them on the back for the ride out, and on top of the from hatch for the ride in. Seems to be wide enough to not matter on either end. I usually dont hook up my bait cages till I am out there so they dont stand up that tall. Everything else is rigged up, and I put the first three buoys in the bottom net (leaving some slack in the 2nd and 3rd nets line so the buoys can reach, and the last two nets I leave enough rope to put them on top.

One thing someone said that when you build those racks and raise them up higher you make your yak a little less stable since you are raising up the center of gravity ( I think thats how it was explained), so be careful with that. Also, if you strap them down, leave enough line in the tie down so if you do roll, your can flip your yak back over and the nets will be hanging over the side. It will be harder to right your yak with that extra weight strapped down.

But thats the fun of this sport!!!!! Figuring out what other people do, and then what works best for you! You saw all the nets and ideas I had when you picked up the nets from me, and that was only 20 mins of BSing! I thought I had it all figuring out rigging wise, and then this year was on a buddies boat, and the way I rigged them for the yak doesnt work as well as it does on a boat. Still trying to figure that out!

Last edited by BT; 01-26-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: speulung
BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Sherm

centering and balancing the load is important for stability and paddling. I put my hoops (5) up front and my loaded bait cages in back. It seems to help with the balance side to side and the weight distribution front to back.

Enjoy figuring it all out. That's half the fun.

Once you figure out where the bugs are........please let me know
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
C'mon Sherm, I've seen the latest pics, you've got the inside track on where the bugs are dining each night you go out.

I do plan on heading out next Thursday night (Feb 3), not sure where yet, but I'll give it my best.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #9
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
WOW! I didnt know you had a sarcastic side Sherm! I swear its magic bug dust...got it sprinkled all over your nets.

Last edited by BT; 01-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
BT is offline   Reply With Quote