Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
T Bone

Calcutta Re-wrap project

I have an Old Calcutta(Cane-not Shimano) rod that belonged to my Grandfather.It has sat in the rod rack for a few years,just keeping it around for nostalgia.It was pretty beat,only 2 out of 10 guides were there,the others were gone with the original cotton thread and varnish becoming very brittle.The tip and handle however are in good shape.Good thing too because I dont think I would be able to come up with a replacement tip very easily look how fat that thing is.This rod is 9' and has a suprisingly good action for an organic rod.It feels a lot like my 90J.Guide spacing is very interesting,each guide goes over the "knuckle" where the cane is divided in sections.interestingly it works out perfectly.towards the butt they are further spaced and closer as you get towards the tip(God designed these things to be fishing rods)
I have a hodge podge of wrapping stuff.I have not wrapped a rod since 2006.I wrapped that rod for Alijos and was one of the rods I lost in the surf last year(Arrgggh!).I have lots of thread but couldnt come up with a complete set of guides that matched so I am going Chrome-black-chrome-black perfections leaving the OG tip which is 1/2 thick.Wraps are going to be black/white/Chrome.I am going to finish it off with a butt wrap with my Grandpa's Initials.
My grandfather loved to fish.He of course got my father into fishing and in turn my brother and I.My grandfather has fished the polaris with Bill Poole and somewhere there are pics with him and piles of albies on deck.Maybe this rod was fished on one of those trips I dont know.Apparently Guys used cane rods fairly often even into the early sixties where fiberglass eventually won out for obvious reasons.I plan on hanging a few fish on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calcutta 001.jpg (38.0 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg calcutta 002.jpg (115.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg calcutta 003.jpg (68.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg calcutta 005.jpg (75.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg calcutta 006.jpg (62.7 KB, 148 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
tagyak

that seems like a nice sentiment for this rod being, since it belonged to your granddad. i am sure that it will turn out nice. cool idea about putting his initials into the wrap.
one question, do these cane rods dry out and get brittle over the years or can you still use them and not worry about the strength?
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
onetriphudson

Thats an awesome plan!

I like new stuff and seeing technology get better, but there is nothing like fixing up an old car or fishing reel and putting it to use! Especially since your grandfather caught fish on that thing.

Last year I bought an old used Penn 501 on a 20# cork wrapped stick, with a wing nut clamp. The guy who owned it before apparently loved fishing but had passed away. Didn't even change the line and took it fishing the next day. Caught a 35# seabass and it took me an hour and a half to fight it out of the kelp. Not bad for $50!
onetriphudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetriphudson View Post
Thats an awesome plan!

The guy who owned it before apparently loved fishing but had passed away. Didn't even change the line and took it fishing the next day. Caught a 35# seabass and it took me an hour and a half to fight it out of the kelp. Not bad for $50!
now that's what i call lots of MOJO
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
T Bone

The reel was not on it.Dont know what happened to it.There were clamps,VERY cool brass ones.I am just going to put a sealine 40 on it and not worry about the reel part.
As for the Initials or name.It wont be a weave or anything.Just paint marker between coats of flex wrap.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
T Bone

The reel was not on it.Dont know what happened to it.There were clamps,VERY cool brass ones.I am just going to put a sealine 40 on it and not worry about the reel part.
As for the Initials or name.It wont be a weave or anything.Just paint marker between coats of flex wrap.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
T Bone

These clamps are pretty cool.I gave them a second look,hit em with steel wool and it turns out they are made By Perfection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (60.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (42.6 KB, 129 views)

Old 03-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

You'd be surprised the diameter of tip eyes available.

I have an extra set of old barrel guides if you are interested. i'm working on a bamboo project myself, but it looks like we will be moving soon so it's gonna have to wait

when we do move I'll be looking to have some work done on the new place. I know a new set of front doors is in order, so I'll keep you in mind.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
T Bone

The largest boat rod top in the mud hole catalog is about half the diameter of this thing.The tip is in good shape anyways.Thanks for the info though.I am not going for a perfect restoration.I am hot rodding it a little so I am set with guides.

Let me Know when you are ready for the doors.Ill give you the BWE discount...

Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
dmrides

That is beyond cool. I am sure your granddad is smiling on you right now and will be even more so when you haul in a big ol' mossback with his rod.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
dfroggy54
Rolly

thats awesome, that blank is super flush. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
fishsouthcounty

Very cool T-bone. Always cool to see old school gear brought back to life. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
newguy01

rod

look at it this way if that rod fell in the water it will float cool rod thanks for sharing
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
T Bone

The rod will float,but once I put a reel on it it will just sink slower than others.