Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
salty pirate

chased out of lj

What up bwe, hit the water at 5am to small surf. Made quick work of filling the tank with fin bait. I hung around the condos for a while and got a few cudas. Decided to keep moving as bait was everywhere and I was tired playing with the slimeturds. Kept trolling and throwing at the boils and kept getting more slimeturds. Saw some birds diving out in deeper water so off I went. Btw the water is super blue. Anyway I did not get anything so I took a snack break and tried trolling the deeper water (about 130ft). After a while I saw a big mark on the ff and thought what the heck was that. Well I found out a few minutes later. I looked back to check the line and saw two dolphins coming in close behind me, then I realize that in fact those two fins were part of one huge f-ing shark (mako). This thing was at least 12ft. It would come within inch's of my kayak (pa 12) and was the same size or bigger. At this point I thinking 1. what a cool way to kick off shark week 2. why did I eat those pot brownies 3. I am all alone out here 4. the closest boat is at least 2 miles away. 5. If this f-er wants to he could easily knock me out of the yak and have me for lunch. So I grasped my knife in one hand and head towards the kayak (sorry) I could see off in distance. Well it took a good half hour to get there cause I would have to stop peddling and tuck my fins under the yak. The shark would sneak up behind me fins out of the water and disappear, then come from the side and look at me, it even splashed me with it's tail. Finally it got board with me and left. Needless to say it was time to go in! I have encountered curious sharks before but not this big and not for such a long period of time. I truly felt I was in danger.

I know this subject has come up before but what do you do when you encounter sharks like this and what kind of protection do you (if any) carry? Please only list things that are legal to have! Feel free to share your sharky experience. I know it is probably the sign of a healthy fishery but damn.

Eli
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
beef78
Large Member

Trojans. Sometimes Durex. Never Lifestyles. I think my paddle is the best defense. It's always handy is good for a quick jab to the nose. If that fails, gaff/billie club.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
DanaPT

Toss out a few of them brownies. When everyone is stoned, no problem bruddah
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

i always take 10ft of 1/16th cable and a 10/0 J hook and another 12ft of now 400lb, was 200lb, grab leader... just never came across one of those big boys. did come eye to eye with a white. but you can't bait those up.

that shark wasn't going to eat you.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Toss out a few of them brownies. When everyone is stoned, no problem bruddah
That would have been bad the shark would of had the munchies eating all the yakers out there lol.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
steveooo

No Me gusta the big curious sharks when I'm out there alone. Only seen one once, but it still gives me the heeby jeebies.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
GregAndrew

It is like the rides at Disneyland "Keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle until it has come to a complete halt". My feeling is that I am not going to outrun any big shark, so I don't want to make myself look like fleeing prey. If it is getting too close, and I have the chance, I am aiming for a shot to the nose.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post
What up bwe, hit the water at 5am to small surf. Made quick work of filling the tank with fin bait. I hung around the condos for a while and got a few cudas. Decided to keep moving as bait was everywhere and I was tired playing with the slimeturds. Kept trolling and throwing at the boils and kept getting more slimeturds. Saw some birds diving out in deeper water so off I went. Btw the water is super blue. Anyway I did not get anything so I took a snack break and tried trolling the deeper water (about 130ft). After a while I saw a big mark on the ff and thought what the heck was that. Well I found out a few minutes later. I looked back to check the line and saw two dolphins coming in close behind me, then I realize that in fact those two fins were part of one huge f-ing shark (mako). This thing was at least 12ft. It would come within inch's of my kayak (pa 12) and was the same size or bigger. At this point I thinking 1. what a cool way to kick off shark week 2. why did I eat those pot brownies 3. I am all alone out here 4. the closest boat is at least 2 miles away. 5. If this f-er wants to he could easily knock me out of the yak and have me for lunch. So I grasped my knife in one hand and head towards the kayak (sorry) I could see off in distance. Well it took a good half hour to get there cause I would have to stop peddling and tuck my fins under the yak. The shark would sneak up behind me fins out of the water and disappear, then come from the side and look at me, it even splashed me with it's tail. Finally it got board with me and left. Needless to say it was time to go in! I have encountered curious sharks before but not this big and not for such a long period of time. I truly felt I was in danger.

I know this subject has come up before but what do you do when you encounter sharks like this and what kind of protection do you (if any) carry? Please only list things that are legal to have! Feel free to share your sharky experience. I know it is probably the sign of a healthy fishery but damn.

Eli
First off, How many brownies did you have before you saw this Mako??? Just cut down on the brownies and those Mako's will turn into seals.

That's pretty scary, I would do like Zed said...Paddle towards it and see how he likes it.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Maybe the sharks know it's Shark Week?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Billy V

Next time that happens - toss it a mack. Makos give the best sleigh rides, all on top of the water.
------------
Don't worry Mackerel are "legal" to own and possess. lol.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Mako's are very curious, they sense both electrical currents and sound vibrations. If you had your bait tank running she may have been feeling your good vibes. Not many confirmed unprovoked mako attacks. They are AWESOME creatures, you actually had a memorable adventure!!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Vikingj

One strategy that I have heard of that makes since is to cluster together, side to side with one or more other yaks. This should be less appealing to a hungry shark than a solo yak?
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Should've flung an iron at him...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty pirate View Post

.... 2. why did I eat those pot brownies
the heavy adrenalin rush from anything truly frightening or exciting, will always wipe away the effects of those pot brownies almost instantly.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Deamon

Simple...open up the zip lock baggie...quickly slip on adult sized diaper, extra absorbant...paddle towards someone fatter than myself...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
taggermike

I've never seen a mako that big in LJ but have had some small ones do the follow, circle, drive routine. That all black eye is just menacing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote