Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
kimchi-sledder
Junior

Talking First time Kayak fishing Mission Bay!

T$-Bussard and I decided to head down to mission with not much planning. So the day before we stop by fishermans hardware pick up some jigs and baits. All pumped up, we're in the garage getting tackle ready, drinking some rum.
Day of mission.
we get up at 3am leave the house at 330. Get there around 5. On the water by 530.

6:30am
First 10 mins of paddling(Trolling) to sail bay my buddy yells that hes hooked up. Nice 14 inch Calico trolling a stick bait. another 15 mins later he yells out hook up again to 15 inch spotty, while im picking off all the grass off my crank.
we get to sail bay trolling around for a good 20 mins for nada. so we stick to the grass edges and my friend is throwing jigs and spinnerbaits, no bites. Im throwing the Alabama rig and get picked up on the 2nd cast! First fish on the alabama rig and first fish of the day for me. Make a couple more cast. nothing.

7:45
We get to the point on San juan cove and start making cast. Nothing. Till I get to the moorings. i see bait jumping everywhere. Make a cast with a 6inch weedless swimbait. Reeling in and pause then reeling in then WHAM. i set the hook but doesnt stick. I forgot its a big bait for the spotties. so i make the same cast with the same retrieve and sure enough BAM, wait 2 seconds and it stuck. bring the 15 inch spotty. very skinny fish but still a fish. DO the same thing in the same spot Bam again. set the hook and this time a 16 inch spotty but with a big gut. couple pictures and released. keep fishing for a couple bites but no go. then i see my friend casting out a crank and just see his rod bendo over. hooked up again on the crank. brings up a 15 inch spotty with the heart of a yellowtail. brings it up couple pictures and released.

9:30am
By now the tides are going out. So now we head to Santa Barbara Cove.and fish the docks so we can be cover by the incoming wind. Friends throwing a skirted jig with trailer. i think he said he got a bite. but i dont remember. im in the next set of docks throwing a an alabama rig. get bit but nothing. keep tossing it and hook this 13 inch spotty to be quick released next to the boat. keep tossing it and i get a bass to bite. its the size of my bait. put them back. My friend gets a couple more fish on the crank. Now its about 10:45 and the winds start picking up so we decided to make one long drift by having one line out the side yak with a dropshot, while we cast with another. couple of bite but no takers.

11:30am
were bored now and my friend said there used to be penguins in the bay near seaworld a while ago. so we get under the bridge and make some cast all dinks. move on and get the the set of docks next to seaworld and couple more casts and more dinks! so we get over the dinks and head straight to the penguin enclosure only to be let down. the penguins arent there.

12:15pm
Winds are up. from seaworld to the launch took about 30mins of steady paddling. The winds are killing us haha. we get to the dock and tie up and go up and have some lunch and while eating the winds are increasing more and more. After lunch we sit around waiting to see if the winds were going to die down abit. Nope. so we called it quits. load up the truck and we're off. get home hour and half later. Feels good to be home after being in the cold.

and sorry if my grammar sucks. haha
and im sure you know who i am with the name i have haha
Attached Images

kimchi-sledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
fishingfiend

Sounds like you guys had a great morning session, thanks for the report! The spotties have been quite active this winter.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
t-$money bussard

bitchin post larry im ready to go again in a few weeks
t-$money bussard is offline   Reply With Quote