Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

LJ Report 4/8

There have not been many reports posted lately. Maybe that is because, just like today, not much has been going on. Even though I came home empty handed, for those who may be interested, I will tell you what I saw.

I arrived a little late and launched with Neil from Mission Viejo. It was a beautiful day. With apologies to The Who, "I could see for miles and miles". I could see the Coronados and snow on Mt. Palomar as well as San Jacinto. There was a light, warm offshore breeze. Above water, things were just about perfect.

The water was cold. I measured 58 to 61 throughout the day. It was also milky green. The southward current was the strongest I have ever seen. Off the point, the kelp was all but invisible from the surface. It was pushed flat only making it to about 20 feet below the surface in most places. I have never seen conditions like this. I was able to peddle straight across the kelp beds where it is usually really thick without once hanging up on a chunk of kelp. Weird!

Bait was easy but all I could find were Spanish and Smelt. No Greenies.

I trolled one bait for about four hours. When I finally let him go, he was still in pristine condition. It was not my day to catch something for dinner.

I finally gave up on catching a keeper and went inside for some bass action. I ended up catching a few on my new WarHead jigs. Those heads coupled with some MC tails look really tasty.

When I finally decided that it was time to head in, I realized that the current had taken me way south. I was well south of Windansea. The peddle home was a bitch. It took almost two hours to make it back to the Shores. Good thing there was no wind.

The only keeper I saw all day was a small thresher caught by a family on a private boat. The teenage kid had cut off the tail and was pretending it was a sword while whacking his little brother.

One yakfisher told me that he had hooked a thresher in the morning as well but let it go. I saw no one else catch anything other than bait.

So that is today's report. Not much to get the juices going but enjoying a beautiful day on the water is always worth the effort.

Maybe next time.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

Nice to see you out there again Bob. I couldn't find any greenies either, until I pulled up my spanish just to check on him, what? a greenie on my hook, wtf? Hooked through his lip and no holes in the nostril. Just in case it was too dark to tell what he was. He was about the same size too...Wierd!!!!

I can't wait til I can stop talking about how "nice is it is out here today". If you know what I mean.

See you soon
Old 04-09-2010, 06:29 AM   #3
tptrench

I've been kayak fishing La Jolla for over 10 years and I've never seen the downhill current as radical as it was yesterday. It was flowing like a river! Tons of bait out there, but I saw 0 action for the 5 hours I spent. Still, it was a beautiful day on the water.
tptrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

Thanks for the report Bob! Going to give it a try tomorrow morning I guess we'll see what happens.
Thanks
Tony.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
-scallywag-
Banned

tip : if the water is murky and you're not 5 miles south of where you "thought" you where, keep paddling, there's fish in that there river!!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Sherm

The current was intense Werdnesday as well. I've never been so tired after paddling back to shore as I was that day. Thanks for the report. I was wondering how things were out on the pond. It sure looked nice from shore.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

The ocean is BIG...

Thanks for the report, Bob.

And I really wish you had your own column on Bloodydecks for the fishing in La Jolla.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
sdfisher

i was out there on thursday as well, first time back on the ocean in months, tested out the flush mount transducer that i put in, was worried about it leaking but it was nice and dry the whole trip. first time i been out in the ocean with a fish finder, really enjoyed being able to have a sense of structure and depth while out there.

the paddle back felt endless, same report as you, lots of spanish and smelt, tons of dolphins and beautiful weather but no fish, had a few baits get thrashed, guessing barracuda. gonna get back out there this week
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
driftwood

Between the strong current and the 70lb thresher shark pull for 30 minutes my arms were noodles that day thursday. Saw big schools of yellow tail breezing just below the surface I think they love that strong current.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Thanks for the report, Bob.

And I really wish you had your own column on Bloodydecks for the fishing in La Jolla.
Maybe I should do that Josh. Nearly every time I go out, I prove that THERE ARE NO FISH IN LA JOLLA!

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote