Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
iethinker

Anyone Try Weedless Hooks - Not Lures

Has anyone tried fishing with any weedless type of hook? I'm not talking about weedless lures but somthing more like this:

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1034

I like to carolina rig with cut bait on the bottom and anything that reduces kelp hook-ups but still hooks the fish would be great.
iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
iethinker

Try Myself

Well...since no one had any feedback on this I ordered a few to try. They are only available up to 4/0. I could have used some of the smaller ones last week surf fishing with the eel grass. Report will follow after use.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
PE.rider

I've used weedless hooks near the kelp paddies and eel grass in the harbors, but still manage to pull up wads of greens. The weedless guard only helps keep the sharp of the hook from getting caught on the fleshy part of greens in the water. You still have to contend with the stuff that attaches to your leader/line, etc.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
GregAndrew

I use the W G hooks all the time, but not so much for the weedless function. They work pretty good for keeping the nose hook from fouling in the head of the bait. Halibut can screw them up quickly though.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
kareem korn

You can't outsmart eelgrass
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
iethinker

Test Results

I finally had an opportunity to test the weed guard hooks in the kelp. And the verdict is.....They catch fish and they prevent snags! I did not hang a hook on the kelp even one time. Nice to be able to check bait be it cut or live.

The 3/0 split-shot / drop-shot weedless models seem too small for average bait and the targeted kelp forest species. Thus, I focused on the use of the 3/0 Weedless Finesse WG.

I typically prefer circle hooks and unfortunately the test 3/0 Weedless FWG (non circle) model I was fishing did yield two gut hooks. After the first, I removed the barb. After this, the second gut hook came out very easy. The respective fish swam away energetically seemingly unharmed. The balance of five fish caught were mouth hooked.

I wish they offered the weed guard option on more varieties and sizes of hooks. For now, I think the Gamakatsu 4/0 Weedless finesse WG is the best of what is available for what we do. Be sure to remove the barb though. Carry some bigger stronger hooks as well for when you see the "big-one" lurking below or when you venture beyond the kelp.

Last edited by iethinker; 09-22-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

When I fresh water bass fish I like to wacky rig senkos and these help to bounce over fallen timber and snags but grass gets caught up in your rigging regardless. There is no such thing as truly weedless

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote