Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
jaws197

Newbie Yakin thru

All,
Been lurking here for several months absorbing all the good vibes and the wealth of info here, thanks to all who have volunteered the info and techniques I have been soaking up like the proverbial sponge!

Just got into this addiction and decided after much researchto start with a slightly used Hobie Outback (love the pedals!) seemed much easier on a larger guy like myself. I have just finished mounting a Lowrance elite 4x after TONS of searching for the best way to mount it without cutting a hole in the bottom (way to afraid of screwing that up!!!)

Going to start with the little bay , work my way up to the big bay before I try open water, still looking for the best all around VHF radio though.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope to see you out there and tight lines and full game clips to all!!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
TEAMFISH
Team Kayak Obesessions

Just mounted the Lowrance "scupper mount" to my O.K. Trident. also running the X4. Looks like she'll work fine, doesn't tuck as much as I would like it to but it should be ok. The thru-hull worked pretty good, directly in the water should be real good.
Welcome to the madness.
TEAMFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
mtnbykr2

Radio, good thinking, safety first...Icom, best bang for the buck, get it from West Marine with their warranty...although I have had mine for several years and only sent them in once and they took care of them at no charge...and they float, but still leash em...
Oh yeah welcome to the addiction...we will see ya out there
Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
taggermike

Here's a few simple tips. Don't start out taking a bunch of high end gear out with you. 2 rods and a small tackle box will be fine for bay fish. Also, get the feel for your boat befor you start adding things to it. Putting on that new rod holder then finding out it cracks your funny bone every time you turn around is a drag. A few trips out will show you what you need and where you need it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Cbad Mike

Welcome! I too lurked for a while and then joined. I cant imagine what the hell id be trying to do on the water without all of the info and help on BWE.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
jaws197

Thanks for the warm welcome! I do believe that the members here are a tremendous resource for a novice like myself and look forward to the ride!

Mtnbykr2, what model icom are you using?

I will definitely take the advice to heart and buy the radio form west marine as well as the extended warranty.

Taggermike,
I am already seeing what you are talking about as far as getting things figured out as to what I truly need and where to place or carry it!

I just finished making some rod and gear leashes last night after seeing the postings about making your own and saving a ton of cash

Thinking about making a move over to the big bay soon so if anyone would like a little novice company please let me know?

Again thanks to all and tight lines to one and all!!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

IMO, while a radio is a great thing to have on board, a cell phone in a waterproof case can be much more useful. Radios only work when you are in "line of sight" with whomever you are trying to reach. If you have an emergency and are tucked behind a mountain, say something like Mt. Soledad, your call may not be heard by the CG or Lifeguards on the other side of the hill.

Most cell phone services get excellent reception out at least three miles from the coast around San Diego so you should always be able to reach help. Just call 911 in an emergency or, as most of us do, store the numbers for the Lifeguard Service and Coast Guard in the phone's memory.

If you have a smart phone, like an iPhone or one using Android, there are a host of useful apps that you can carry with you while on the water. I have ones for navigation, weather, tides and fish identification. I even carry with me a copy of the latest DFG regs.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote