Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Minding my own business... THEM BOOM

I was out fishing today patrolling the area for possible criminals.

Then a loud sound, scared the polish sandwich out of me!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Sdspeed

Awesome!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
bubblehide

[QUOTE=wiredantz;177859]...

Then a loud sound, scared the polish sandwich out of me!/QUOTE]

So that's why you wear those stretchy pants

Hey Frank, when you first got started, did you think you'd have experiences like this.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
wiredantz

I knew I would get to experience these moments in my mind. When you actually get to see them with your own eye, the experience is just awe-inspiring.

It still amazes me the amount of fish species out there, from the variety of colors, to the strength each fish displays.

A little fact about whales:

The Flipper of the Humpback Whale

THE adult humpback whale is bigger and heavier than a city bus. Still, this colossal mammal is remarkably agile when diving and turning. How can the humpback whale be so nimble? Part of the secret lies in the bumps on its flippers.

Consider: Most whales and other cetaceans have flippers with smooth leading edges. However, the humpback whale is different. It has uniquely large bumps (called tubercles) on the leading edge of its flippers. As the humpback swims, water flows over the bumps and breaks up into a multitude of vortices. The bumps channel the water flow and create turbulence. This “tubercle effect” provides the whale with more lift, allowing it to tilt its flippers at a high angle without stalling. At high angles these bumps also reduce drag—an important benefit for the humpback’s long flippers, each being about one third of the whale’s body length.

Researchers are applying this concept to make more-efficient boat rudders, water turbines, windmills, and helicopter rotor blades.

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 12-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
blitzburgh

That's cool! I too have had the polish scared out of me by a whale. On a fairly foggy morning at the Jewel, one came up maybe 50 yards too my port and blew. If I wasn't awake before that I damn sure was after
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

QUE: JIM DAY response....

Typical frank movie...looks like you took that video during an earthquake...
Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
QUE: JIM DAY response....

Typical frank movie...looks like you took that video during an earthquake...

Funny......I was just about to comment about how I got dizzy after watching the video.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Saba Slayer

Christmas Whale

I had a Christmas Whale off Redondo/Torrrance beach yesterday too...I followed it from in front of King Harbor to the Kelp at PV...he went right thru the thick kelp in about 60' of water...beautiful animal...they've been right out in front the last few days.
It's been flat calm out there with these Santana conditions...great whale and porpoise watching weather...and the SUP girls have been good too with their bikinis and Santa hats!
Jim /Saba Slayer
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
I had a Christmas Whale off Redondo/Torrrance beach yesterday too...I followed it from in front of King Harbor to the Kelp at PV...he went right thru the thick kelp in about 60' of water...beautiful animal...they've been right out in front the last few days.
It's been flat calm out there with these Santana conditions...great whale and porpoise watching weather...and the SUP girls have been good too with their bikinis and Santa hats!
Jim /Saba Slayer
That is so funny, you say that.

I saw the the Santa Clause wearing SUP girls, one of the older ladies had a wine bottle in her hand!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
taggermike

Feels kinda stupid to say, but whales are big. I mean you know they're big but when you see one for the first time or after not seeing one for a while it hits you; damn, whales are big. Great vids, thanks. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote