Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Cattledog

Big bay today, 6/8

Launched from Shelter Island at about 1330, went straight across to the North Island side of the Channel. The incoming tide was strong so I didn't go far.

I caught a few lizard fish using a Sabiki then used them for bait to drift for halibut. I didn't get any bites but saw some guys on a small boat near what looks like a storm drain pipe doing pretty well. The pulled several halibut in within about an hour, most of which were undersized from what I could see. This pipe is a bit East of the first Shoal markers you see on the North Island side after you cross from the Shelter Island launch. I plan to head back and try this spot next time I get a chance.

The big bay is nice but dodging all the powerboat traffic is a chore. I was in the perfect spot to get a huge wake from the "Lord Hornblower" - maybe would have been a problem if I wasn't watching!

No luck on the halibut today but I did catch a several very small calico bass on the Sabiki (C&R of course).

Cattledog
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

It's going to be busy pretty much everywhere now that summer weather is kicking in. Keep on it dude, the halibut are out there.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
ctfphoto

What I find kinda funny is all the people that go to the bays because they think it is calmer that the ocean.

The reality is that La Jolla is generally MUCH calmer, flatter and smoother all summer long that the constant chop and wakes in the big bay.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #4
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Big bay

I have always been a fan of the big bay. But ditto x2 on the fact that it can be quite a challenge to fish it in the summer. A lot of traffic and chop. Now that I have experience LJ a few times, I think you are right, it can be calmer. But you are also right when you say THE BIG HALIBUT ARE IN THERE! So true.

Now if I can only get through the surf in one piece....

J
Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

San Diego Bay is not too bad early in the morning, but the water definitely gets REALLY choppy when the giant Jet Boat with 50-seats starts making full-speed runs up and down the bay. That thing's wakes will echo around the bay a few times.

It looks like a fun ride, but does he really have to do that INSIDE the bay? I would think it's safer to make 50mph runs outside the bay.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote